Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 03:29 AM

Default JTs Top Two Pair: PL $400

Hero has been playing fairly LAG opening lots of pots PF. I have been caught in several bluffs in medium sized pots. This is the first time that I have check/raised after opening PF.

Villian has been playing fairly solid, but has shown that he is capable of making a few moves. I think that it is very unlikely that he is calling with a draw.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($641.25)
CO ($525.95)
Button <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> ($488.70)
SB ($989.79)
BB ($187)
UTG ($457.41)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, CO calls $14, Button <font color="#A500AF(Villian)[/color"> calls $14, SB (poster) calls $12, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($60) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $40</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $150</font>, CO folds, Villian calls $110.

Turn: ($360) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero... ? Villian has about $350 left.

Is pushing the only play?

Thoughts on flop also welcome.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: JTs Top Two Pair: PL $400

Oh, also, before anybody says "Raise more PF" please note that this is PL.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:33 AM

push it
Old 10-02-2005, 03:36 AM

looks like 88 stacked you
Old 10-02-2005, 03:37 AM

pot
Old 10-02-2005, 03:42 AM

Before I get too many more responses just saying "push"....

What do people think that his range is here for calling my flop c/r?

Villian is fairly solid, and good, and he knows he has no room to make a play on the turn.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:23 AM

You are in a pickle. Since you've been playing LAG I would imagine his range for calling the C/R is AJ, KJ, QJ, JT, JJ, 88, 66. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I see a LAG, esp one getting caught in multiple bluffs, all these hands are in my range. 100% when checked to me on the flop.

Anyways, if he's not calling with a draw then his call on the flop must be a real hand, unless you think he's sophisticated enough to call a C/R to make a huge move on the turn. It doesn't sound like it. Therefore, on the turn, there's 24 possibilities you're ahead of, 9 you're behind, and 4 you're tied with. Since you're positive he's not on a draw, I check, let him bet, and push. If he doesn't bet, I value be the river.

standard disclaimer, I don't play this high, but this is all pretty logical, esp against what seems to be an ABC villain.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:20 AM

Although he may be capable of bluffing, betting into that board in a multi-way pot dosen't seem like a smart place for a player that you respect to be pure bluffing.

I don't understand the check-raise with top pair. You build a bigger pot then you want, OOP, in a muti-waypot, with a draw heavy board.

On the turn, If you are going to committing your whole stack wouldn't you like to have a stronger read, or at least be in postion?

You will almost never get called by a hand you are beating (which are only the unlikely overpairs and AJ, KJ, QJ.). So you are risking the loss of far more than you stand to gain. With a push, your opponet has only committed 140 to the hand where as you are risking your whole stack. He's not in the worst position.

I think it's a matter of picking your spots.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:33 AM

easier if you bet flop and turn. If you bet 3/4 on each you're in for same 150ish, then you can fold when he raises you all in on turn with his set.

Usually when I c/r on flop, i'm trying to take it down there and i'm done/slowing way down if its called.

You're in a real tough spot now. You can bet pot; i know no one will like it, but you can also check and see what he does.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:19 AM

flop checkraise is meh.

once you get to this turn with that card with those stacks you should be figuring out how to get all the money in.