Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 04:08 PM

Default OT: Drinking and/or smoking while playing

I know it's a general opinion that you should NEVER drink while playing because it impairs your judgement, but sometimes I have a few beers to feel more comfortable or after a continuous string of bad beats. Poker is a stressful game and it's human nature. After all, we are in our own home and not in an office.

In the "old days" before smoking was banned, many of the top pros would smoke (eg. TJ Cloutier). Even today, some of them drink too (Devilfish, Jonny World, Men the Master).

For me, I know it is -EV to do so but sometimes I just can't help it (I'm not an alcoholic honest, lol). Sometimes I feel I need to "loosen up" or have a drink/smoke to break the monotomy of continuous SNGs. A good friend of mine says he HAS to smoke some weed to play well.

Does anyone else have similar experiences that they'd like to share?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: OT: Drinking and/or smoking while playing

Apathy does
Old 09-29-2005, 04:11 PM

Considering I play for fun and not the mortgage I have no problem drinking while paying.
My opponents also don't have a problem with me drinking while playing.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering I play for fun and not the mortgage I have no problem drinking while paying.
My opponents also don't have a problem with me drinking while playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with a few glasses of wine with some poker. That's what I do. After all, I drink to relax, not to get wasted. Oh, the days of yore when I lived in my fraternity... I miss them.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:15 PM

I only drink beer when I play. And only on days that have a y in it. I'll smoke cigs on the days that have an a while playing as well.

Sluracka
Old 09-29-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's a general opinion that you should NEVER drink while playing because it impairs your judgement, but sometimes I have a few beers to feel more comfortable or after a continuous string of bad beats. Poker is a stressful game and it's human nature. After all, we are in our own home and not in an office.

In the "old days" before smoking was banned, many of the top pros would smoke (eg. TJ Cloutier). Even today, some of them drink too (Devilfish, Jonny World, Men the Master).

For me, I know it is -EV to do so but sometimes I just can't help it (I'm not an alcoholic honest, lol). Sometimes I feel I need to "loosen up" or have a drink/smoke to break the monotomy of continuous SNGs. A good friend of mine says he HAS to smoke some weed to play well.

Does anyone else have similar experiences that they'd like to share?

[/ QUOTE ]

I start every set off with a smoke, and bubble with one too...intense HU battles deserve one as well. If I am final 2 tables in a MTT I have a beer, and then drink like crazy at the FT and take a valium right afterward.

My name is pooh and I have a problem(s).

Edit: I also smoke about a pack if I go deep in a MTT, hence the valium afterward.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only drink beer when I play. And only on days that have a y in it. I'll smoke cigs on the days that have an a while playing as well.

Sluracka

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, wait! Thats almost every single day!
Old 09-29-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good friend of mine says he HAS to smoke some weed to play well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people think that they are doing something better with weed or alcohol or whatever, but they actually aren't. Of course when you have an ROI to prove it, it makes a difference.

Oh and some of you guys have problems. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 04:23 PM

I'll sometimes play while mildly high or after a few drinks. I don't feel I play any better but I just take my time with each decision and pretty much play the same or just a little worse. When I'm really drunk or high I play the 5.25 PLHE HU SNGs on Stars, and normally adpot a policy of EVERYTIME I FOLD I TAKE A SHOT OR HIT FROM THE BONG!
Old 09-29-2005, 04:23 PM

diet wild cherry pepsi is my sng sidekick... trust me, way ++++EV.