Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 12:39 PM

Default QQ turn decision

I am still new to $15/$30 and am trying to get a sense of the way the game plays.

I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP.

UTG+1 limps, I raise. CO and both blinds call as does limper.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players, 10SB)

3 checks to me and I bet. Just CO and BB call

Turn is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players, 6.5BB)

BB checks - me?

BB is 13/6 medium aggression with a bit of larceny in him
CO is 25/14 with medium aggression as well but too few hands to know much else.

Is a bet automatic here? With so many callers of my PFR and 2 callers on an A high flop - do I need to take the foot off or keep pounding.

If I bet and am raised, I......?
If I check, CO bets and BB folds. I .......?
If I check, CO bets and BB calls, I .......?

Thanks all

trevor
Old 07-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: QQ turn decision

Unless anyone has AT, if they have an ace they will likely call a bet from you unless they've been slowplaying a monster. If they have 2 clubs they will call (Ax crubs may raise). So basically if you check you can see if CO will bet or not. This gives BB the chance to check-raise, in which case you can escape free of charge. If he calls I would usually call too closing the betting because he's probably on a draw or a pair of tens and there's a reasonable chance QQ is still ahead. But you'll lose to an ace (or two) the majority of the time here, but probably not 66%. my 2c
Old 07-28-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I bet and am raised, I......?
If I check, CO bets and BB folds. I .......?
If I check, CO bets and BB calls, I .......?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold, Call with intention of calling 1 more on river, Fold

My line of choice is bet/fold to charge draws, because if you check youve gotta call one from CO and one more on the river probably. If you bet, it makes BB less likely to bluff raise the turn than if CO bet...

So basically, bet turn, and check/call river if you arent raised on the turn
Old 07-29-2005, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I checked, thinking that it may be ME who needs the free card here.

I was intending to fold to a raise but later realised that the BB might CR here with something I beat after I have shown weakness and CO just bets after 2 checks. While I do get to lay down for free, I might be folding the best hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As it was CO bet and BB called. I see that the 2 replies disagree on what to do now.

The suggestion of fold is what I did, on the basis that with both in the pot an Ace was more likely than not.

However, on reflection, I suspect that I am not behind often enough to make the fold correct.

Any more views?

trevor

PS - my comment about not being behind enough is even stronger after some analysis I have done in the past few hours. Many players seem incredibly loose post flop. I am very surprised at the standard of play at this limit. I thought it would be much tighter in multiway pots. Is this normal?

t
Old 07-29-2005, 08:30 AM

alot of good things can happen when u bet here. dont be afrad if getting check raised. if somebody does wait until the turn to check raise you, (a non lag player) on this board (due to the ace), then your beat. i dont like to get c/red when there are rags out there and i have an ace with good kicker. bet and fold if the bb c/red...bet and evaluate if the co raises.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:50 PM

It was not the fear of a (check) raise. It is whether I am in more need of a free card than my opponents.

If CO raises I will fold, happy that I am behind.

If CO calls and BB raises, I am in a tricky situation but I will have to fold I think. This might be the "protected pot bluff" but it IS only $15/$30 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If CO folds and BB raises, I will call down since he bluffs often enough for this to be +EV.

The question was whether with the preflop and flop action this is an auto bet or whether taking the foot off might be an idea.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

T
Old 08-01-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, on reflection, I suspect that I am not behind often enough to make the fold correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's how I read it. Naturally, the next 6 times this scenario comes up I am then up against an Ace and I think I must look like the biggest calling station going.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 06:26 PM

I would bet this turn pretty much every time. If the CO raises and BB folds, I call down. If the CO raises and BB calls two cold, I would strongly consider folding. If the CO calls and BB check-raises, I would again strongly consider folding. If the CO folds and BB check-raises, I call down.