Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 05:01 PM

Default 2 Routine Scenarios..

1.) You have a pair of queens, which you have bet and raised on 3rd and 4th street with. On fifth your opponent catches an ace and bets into you.. What conditions will make you call/raise/fold in this situation?

Obvious Factors: Player, Liveness of the aces, how live your cards are, and # of callers on earlier streets. (Size of the pot).. I guess also your reputation at the table..

2.) You chase a flush against an opponent with a paired door card. He leads out and bets into you on the river. What's your action?

Factors to be considered : What your opponent puts you on.
Liveness of your opponents board. your opponent..Etc.. Seems like if your opponent did not already fill, he has about a 25% chance of filling on the river..
Old 07-21-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: 2 Routine Scenarios..

1) I almost always call here.. If the player is good they usually check raise here, if the player stinks he probably played high cards and hit 1 pair of aces on 5th and with the money from 3rd and 4th it becomes correct to chase with 1 pair here..

Also he may have nothing, in which case you want to just call to induce bluffs the whole way.. No point in raising.

2) I like to raise the river here, if he comes over the top you should fold unless he is an idiot.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:26 PM

I am definitely not going to be of help in the first scenario, because that situation always gives me trouble. The second one though, I think I'm definitely getting a raise in there. If he comes over the top you can just call. I think you're losing too much by auto assuming that you are beat. This is probably pretty dependent on reads as well. BTW we should set up another PP private table again sometime. I'm going to be gone on a float trip this weekend, but I'm free after that.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:01 PM

1.) Calling is generally the best overall play here. Some good players will simply bet out with the ace and a lower pair or a big draw. Some will have aces-up or have you crushed in another manner. Some bad players will alternate between these two options as well. How do you know which they're choosing? Since poker is a game of incomplete information you dont. Therefore in most instances you will simply be calling. Raising isnt ideal in case you run into the second scenario. If you run into the first you're not much of a favorite anyway and need not risk 2-1 or a raise with one pair here. Dosent it suck when your opponent catches a live ace?

2.) Raise nearly every time here. I've seen good players bet, with just trips, when its almost ceratin they're up against a draw. I suppose they're reasoning is something along the lines of "you cant ever put a party poker player on a hand" or "you never know what a party poker player is foolish enough to pay off with". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] As for bad players, they arent putting you on a hand. All thats going through their mind is "I've got trips, gotta bet!". So raise the river. Fold is reraised and the villan is a soild/non-tricky type.

Mike Emery
Old 07-21-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for bad players, they arent putting you on a hand. All thats going through their mind is "I've got trips, gotta bet!".

[/ QUOTE ]

I fell into this trap with my "3-bet the river" post
Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 PM

I just thought of something I'd like to clear about about #2. I only raise here heads up. If there is another player behind me I almost always go for the overcall.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:30 PM

What do you think of folding the flush draw when opponent pairs door card (without a read that villian starts without a pair)...maybe I'm weak tight, but why draw when there's a substantial possibility you might not win if you hit?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:39 AM

The main consideration is how likely it is that the other guy has trips. If he has, say, a Queen in the door, he always raises with Queens, and he didn't raise, well, you're probably not up against trips. If there is a doubt, though, erring on the side of caution is probably best.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of folding the flush draw when opponent pairs door card (without a read that villian starts without a pair)...maybe I'm weak tight, but why draw when there's a substantial possibility you might not win if you hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of the size of the pot. We're never sure what our opponents have.