Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: What could Dannenman have put Hachem on in the last hand?

[ QUOTE ]
My point in the first place--that Dannenmann's play made no sense to me, b'c there really isn't a hand that he can put Hachem on that makes Dannenmann's play in the last hand sensible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my point. Danneman is an amateur that played pretty well, caught some breaks, and some of the over aggressive pros just didn't adapt to his straightforward style very well. I'm not knocking him, he did very well and he is good for poker.

But heads up play after an all-night marathon against a serious pro put him in a situation that he was not prepared for. Great pros can play all night and still make intelligent decisions under changing conditions (e.g. the switch to HU play from multi-way).

He was overmatched. And Hachem set this matchup up by being willing to lose with JJ just to get HU with Danneman.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raised preflop, I have been raising mostly aces since we have been shorthanded, there's an ace on board - why isn't he worried about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

They played six hands heads up. Here's the PF action in each.

1) Hachem limps, Dannennmann checks. Dannennmann folds the flop (according to Cardplayer, Hachem reached for chips).
2) Dannennmann raises to $750k with J6o. Hachem calls. Dannennman wins the hand at showdown
3) Hachem limps, Dannennmann raises. Hachem folds.
4) Dannennmann folds
5) Hachem limps, Dannennmann checks. Dannennmann bets the flop. Hachem folds.
6) Dannennmann PFR to $750k.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:26 PM

Without going into every post made above, on a 4-5-6-A board, heads-up, and you have A-3, you're not getting away from that as the flop action certainly could've been a pure or semi-bluff, and now you have the open-ender, top pair, and need I mention again that it's heads-up...?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-30-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without going into every post made above, on a 4-5-6-A board, heads-up, and you have A-3, you're not getting away from that as the flop action certainly could've been a pure or semi-bluff, and now you have the open-ender, top pair, and need I mention again that it's heads-up...?

[/ QUOTE ]

These posts are irritating me. Yes, its heads up. But its DEEP STACKED HEADS UP! If you have played heads up tourneys on Stars or pokerroom before the blinds/stacks sizes are equivalent to level 2. Its far from time to look at your hand, look at the board, see a match and declare all in. Patience is required.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He called because he had a $23 million chip lead,

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't. The chip totals before heads up began were T39,995k and $16,350k. But they played 5 hands before this one. The actual chip totals going into this hand were

Hachem: T35,595k
Dannenmann: T20,750k

Some other calculations of note.

Chip stacks if Dannennmann had folded to Hachem's check-raise on the flop:

Hachem: T37,045
Dannenmann: T19,300

Chip stacks if Dannenmann had folded after Hachem's 2M bet on the turn:
Hachem: T38,045
Dannenmann: T18,300

Chip stacks if Dannenmann had folded after Hachem's re-raise on the turn:

Hachem: T43,045
Dannennmann: T13,300

Chip stacks if Hachem had been on a bluff and folded to Dannenmanns' turn re-raise:

Hachem: T31,145
Dannenmann: T25,200
Old 11-30-2005, 05:57 PM

The most incredible thing about you people who are defending Danneman's play here is that Danneman himself is not. From his interview with ESPN:

"I thought, 'You know what, Joe may have two pair here, I do have top pair and I do have an open-ended straight [draw], and I'm tired, let's go home, if it was meant to be, it was meant to be,''' Dannenmann says.

Sounds like surrender more than strategy to me.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no keysar thats not what i said. but based on the tiny fraction of what i saw it wasnt even close to being called a world series. it was not good poker play based on the hands they saw fit for tv which means all the other ones were much worse if thats possible. an i have played with barch before an he is a decent player an hachem has some skill. but i would still sit down with these 9 including mike m. and feel comfortable with my skill level
[ QUOTE ]
i think that this is probably the ugliest play ive seen at a final table ever. what i wouldnt of gave to play with these 9 "very nice" poker players. the only two i give any respect for(and it aint much other than the fact they all made it through a sea of players) is hachem an tex and of course mike m. the rest of these guys musta had some super great runs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its cool your so comfortable with your skill level after all those $10 sng's.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post3646762
Old 11-30-2005, 06:43 PM

Actually Hachem knew Danneman had an ace when he played back on the turn. When Danneman called all in, he was just hoping his open-ender would still be live if his ace was beat. Just like he said in the espn interview, he was very tired...
Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 PM

From the espn article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker...amp;id=2239158

The other thing that fans usually ask about is the final hand against Hachem.

"Before we started [heads-up play], I shook his hand,'' Dannenmann says. "I said, 'Good luck. I hope you win. You are the better player and you'll respect the title more than I will. And we're going to get this over in five hands.' Those were the exact words. As a matter of fact, Joe came up to me at the Borgata in Atlantic City in September and he repeated it to me word-for-word.''

Dannenman was off by one. It took six hands.

"What I'm thinking is, I just played 12-14 hour days, seven days straight, I've gotten a total of 15½ hours sleep the entire week,'' Dannenmann says. "The goal I had that day was don't go out first, don't be the ninth guy. Thereafter, when you do go out, you want to make sure you have a good hand.''

With the blinds at $150,000-$300,000 and a $50,000 ante, Dannenmann drew A-3 offsuit on the button and raised to $700,000. Hachem called with 7-3 offsuit. The flop came 6-5-4, two diamonds, giving Hachem a seven-high straight. Dannenmann bet out $700,000. Hachem raised it $1 million. Dannenmann called. The turn came the ace of spades, giving Dannenmann top pair with an up-and-down straight draw. Hachem bet $2 million. Dannenmann raised to $5 million. Hachem reraised all-in. Dannenmann called.

"I thought, 'You know what, Joe may have two pair here, I do have top pair and I do have an open-ended straight [draw], and I'm tired, let's go home, if it was meant to be, it was meant to be,''' Dannenmann says.

It wasn't meant to be. Dannenmann needed a 7 on the river to chop the pot. Instead, a 4 came, and the Aussie pro became world champion.

"I don't regret a moment of that,'' Dannenmann says. "The only thing I may regret is not raising it up more [preflop]. But I may have not gotten any action. But I got action, and he got the best hand. He deserved to win.''

I hope that hasn't already been posted....

I think he was surrendering.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:59 PM

I can't think of any defense for Danneman's play. It just isn't there. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]