Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 11:21 PM

Default KJ OOP - checkup

Villain in this hand is 32/3/1.2 after a measly 68 hands. Don't know much about him otherwise. BB is a peel-happy donkey.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 10-30-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: KJ OOP - checkup

I'd say check/call is worse than either bet/fold or check/fold. You're gonna be a huge underdog if he bets this so if you check I think you should be folding. I like bet/fold because you'll get some calls from 6x and other random pocket pairs.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:26 PM

bet this river
Old 10-30-2005, 11:34 PM

what about the whiffed straight draws? Not a big enough factor?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what about the whiffed straight draws? Not a big enough factor?

[/ QUOTE ]

While the sample size on Villain is small, I don't think someone w/those stats bluffs the river w/a missed straight draw to make c/calling a better play than bet/fold. I also think it's pretty unlikely he bluff-raises you here which also favors bet/fold, he will call w/a 6, PP etc that will just checkbehind if you check.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:36 AM

I check fold the turn, smallish pot, oop w/only K high. They are prolly calling w/a low PP or a 6. I really don't like getting raised on the turn either b/c it puts you in a really tough spot
Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check fold the turn, smallish pot, oop w/only K high. They are prolly calling w/a low PP or a 6. I really don't like getting raised on the turn either b/c it puts you in a really tough spot

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. The ace gives you a ton of fold equity. Some people might even fold a better hand (22-55). Most goobers are calling that flop with any two cards higher than 8, but many of them won't keep calling when the ace hits. I'd prefer they fold their 3-6 outters than see the ace and decide to bluff me off the best hand. And getting raised on the turn is super easy - you fold.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:05 AM

The goobers calling w/low PPs on the flop aren't folding them on the turn. I think the only folding equity you have is from hands you are currently beating
Old 10-31-2005, 01:32 AM

I think checking the turn gives up way too much. The A is the perfect card to follow through with. Nobody has shown any strength in the hand except for me, and a lot of hands that looked promising enough to my opponents to peel the flop just turned to goo with the big, scary ace.

Yes, I may be ahead of a lot of hands I'm folding, but in a 3-way pot, OOP with K-high, it's a good thing.

The interesting part of the hand was the river, I think. I am actually really bad at recognizing the TOP 'OOP on the end as an underdog' situation. Anybody have any more examples of times like these?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The goobers calling w/low PPs on the flop aren't folding them on the turn. I think the only folding equity you have is from hands you are currently beating

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd disagree w/this based on my experience