Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 04:55 PM

Default AK vs. 50BBs : $400 NL

$400 6-Max on UB.

Villian has been playing fairly loose. He has been caught bluffing a few times, and chasing draws with bad odds. His min-raise has been fairly weak, thus far. His range for calling my button raise is ridiculously wide. I put him on two cards.

Hero has been fired many continuation bets which have been called/raised and subsequently check/folded on several hands.

Folds to Hero on button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Effective stack size: $200.

Hero Raises to $16. SB folds. Villian calls in BB.

Flop (~$34): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian Checks. Hero bets $25 (my standard continuation bet). Villian min-raises to $50. He's got ~$130 behind Hero?

Considering my image and his, I am fairly sure I have the best hand.

What's my line, and plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: AK vs. 50BBs : $400 NL

Call the flop raise. C/r turn.

Or if you think that Villian has an actual hand, just push the flop. I figure he might have air here or has a weak K or Queen. If you push the flop he might fold these.

This is why I like calling flop, c/r turn.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C/r turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume you just mean raise turn, since I'm on the button.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:28 PM

villian is a moron who has put in >1/4 of his stack.

he's raised you, and you have a monster.

i tap him without ever thinking twice.

p.s. i think you are good here 90% of the time.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:33 PM

does not seem like anything out the ordinary. I 3bet all in. Maniacal villains have a tendency to call with weaker kings, J10...you name it. I would feel fairly certain you have the best hand here.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:46 PM

call, raise him all-in on the turn

3-bet all-in on the flop will surely tell him a Q is no good, even if he will call with any K

however, if you call, he can still bet at it on the turn, regardless of what falls (except maybe an ace, which would suck for getting more out of him if he only has a Q or mid-pocket)

i think you get more value by just calling the flop, raising the turn if you definitely think you have the best hand

sure he may hit 2-pair with something like QT, but he will probably bet out with it on the turn if you call, but would fold to a 3-bet push on the flop
Old 10-12-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
C/r turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume you just mean raise turn, since I'm on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh whoops, I read through the hand quickly. Yeah, that's what I meant. Anyways, I think calling the flop and raising all in on the turn is greater EV than just pushing the flop.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:59 PM

i think this is good advice. he may get lucky and turn two pair on you, but more often than not he'll bet again and you'll be able to get him all in.

i like this line better.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Results

I call the flop.

Turn: (~134)[ K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian bets $75. I push. Villian instacalls with JTo.

I still think this is the best line, for the reasons mentioned by other posters. Specifically, if I push the flop, he gets away from too many hands that he would make this play with, and I miss out on his inevitable pot-committing turn bet.

Of course, against villians exact holding, the flop push was better, but any Q surely folds, as do several bad Ks. Any hand that beats mine isn't going anywhere.

I'm starting to need reassurance on plays that I once felt were standard... as I have been running pretty bad for the last few weeks.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Results

I agree, although the results suck call/R turn gets a lot of queens in as well as all kings. A raise on the flop folds most queens, some kings and probably the draw as well.