Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: $55: Interesting trend I\'ve noticed recently

I find overbets to be a big sign of weakness at the lower limits. For example, three times tonight I limped with jacks in EP on like level 1/2, and some guy in LP would jack it to 215 or so. I had absolutely no problem shoving my stack in, and twice I got showed an underpair and once it was A4.

Same thing on any street. Massive overbets scream bluff and people just hate to be bluffed out. They're way happier going broke knowing that they're beat, rather than losing 50 chips and wondering if you really had the best hand.

If I think my opponent will call his stack off with a hand I can beat, I shove. Sometimes I'm right and I pwn him, sometimes I'm wrong and he folds. I think in the end I get max or near max value, because stacking somebody in one tourney is way better than getting 1/3 of their stack in each of three tourneys.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:20 PM

Good post pergesu.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I think my opponent will call his stack off with a hand I can beat, I shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good way to break down this whole thread in one simple sentence. I think this was a useful post.

I value overpushed the nuts last night (a relatively new move for me) because I thought I'd get a call from a player who had shown some strength. I got the call. I was up 10+ buyins at the end of the set. Mere coincidence? Anecdotal evidence? Small sample size? I think not! It was obviously this thread that made me that cash. (All nonsense aside though, this was a good thread.)
Old 10-04-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was obviously this thread that made me that cash. (All nonsense aside though, this was a good thread.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the anti-OT thread [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 04:36 PM

I have been playing mucho $33's lately, I always seem to push monsters on the flop if I raised preflop and it looks like I'm making a continuation overbet. I get clled with A high sometimes. It is definatley about letting people's egos make mistakes for them.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:59 PM

Maybe I should have kept this "revelation" to myself! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should have kept this "revelation" to myself! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same exact thing when I first responded to this thread. I have been making these types of plays for a few months now. But I have learned a ton from these boards so it isn't right not giving back.

JJ
Old 10-04-2005, 06:52 PM

the weaker the player, the more likely they missed when they overbet. at the 100+9s and the 200+15s, most of the regulars seem to adequetely mix up their overbets.
the only time i feel it's still dependable to call with A-high or bottom pair is against stop-and-goes in the money and on the bubble.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:54 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
We've all thought about it, and most of us had tried it. Lorinda posted about it a while ago [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

What about the being on the other end? I still often call the overbet being pretty sure they don't have a super strong made hand.

You think this is still good? Just if you watch out for 2+2ers?

Well I think it's still good in general.