Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 01:15 PM

Default \"donktastic\" attempt to steal the Big Blind out of SB, ended up...

...pretty much handing over 4.5 Big Bets to the guy to my right.

CardSharpCook referred to my J9o made str8 fold to a raise on the Turn as "Donktastic," (lol) so
I feel obligated
to share some more donkness with you all to help you not make the same idiot moves as me.

How bad was this:
$5/10 Limit,
folded to me in SB with 33. I raise, BB calls.

Flop comes a 7 A 2 rainbow. I bet, BB calls.

Turn: 9. I bet, BB raises, I call down. He flips over AQo for a pair of As.

How bad does this suck? What's the correct way to play a hand like this
(w/ "showdown value" like an A or any ppk. pair?).
Since I suck so bad, should I
consider just folding these hands in the future? (if I'm going to just be throwing Big Bets around like that?) Thx.,
Old 12-27-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: \"donktastic\" attempt to steal the Big Blind out of SB, ended up...

A read on your opponent would help, but I'd check/fold or bet/fold this turn.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: \"donktastic\" attempt to steal the Big Blind out of SB, ended up...

Ya gotta start thinking about what your opponent thinks you might have. You raise pf, the flop comes A72r and you bet. He's gotta think you have an ace here and isn't calling down w/much less. The likelyhood he has a 7 is a slim but still a possiblity and the likelyhood of him having a 2 is almost nonexistant b/c he'd fold most hands w/a 2 pf and might toss a majority of them on the flop.

Once he calls the flop you gotta think he's got an A or at worst a 7 or pp higher than yours. In either case, he's prolly committed himself to showdown and you aren't knocking him off a better hand.

Bet the flop, check fold the turn

simple
Old 12-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Easy fold to the turn raise.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:50 PM

In Blind warz, players frequently call the flop just to see what you will do on the turn. Check/fold is not an option. Your options are to bet/fold the turn, or to check/calldown. If you don't plan on believing his turn raise (which is fine), then the check/calldown line is for you.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:53 PM

People do too much weird stuff in blind steal situations to make a habit of folding pairs. I'd fold here on the turn since you bet and he raised. I think checkcall down is better then betfold, and betfold is better than betcalldown.