Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Basic LAG strategies?

Looking to start a discussion with some fellow LAGs about LAG strategy and hand selection. I have some theories and habits that I don't know if they're smart/good or just dumb...I have my thinkings but could use some sounding board friendly LAGs to talk to.

Anyone want to chat?

Some current thinkings in my head

a)I'll frequently fold AJ- to raises but make no hesitation in calling suited connectors or suited kings in way more spots than not. (Figure less likely to be dominated, and that these hands havc greater implied odds when I do hit.)

b) In general, prefer playing suited kings to suited aces (assuming kicker is an 'x') for same reason.

c) Am unsure of my feelings about firing away what % of my chips on turn/river with air....

just looking to bounce ideas of someone. ... if you don't want to chat in the forum here PM me if you're interested.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Basic LAG strategies?

i play suited kings every time, especially k [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] k [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

b) In general, prefer playing suited kings to suited aces (assuming kicker is an 'x')

[/ QUOTE ]

Your kicker is always an 'x' ... I don't understand.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 AM

sorry...by 'x' I meant lower than good.

Meaning: I'd rather play AJs than KJs but I'd rather play K6s than A6s in deeper stacked spots.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i play suited kings every time, especially k [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] k [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes even the ace might be an good enough kicker.A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

edit:
But seriously if you are talking about playing LAG in the early level of Party 10 player SNG you are probably not geting an very interesting discusion here. Most players(me included) play very thight at the early level of SNG's.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:06 AM

For C) it all depends on the reads you have against your opponent. LAGs have to have a great deal of experience so that you know how much to bet. Some opponents fold to ANY raise when they don't have a piece of the board (Good example is when you're BB and SB completes and he checks the flop... vs a lot of low limit players a minraise gets him to fold.)

Develop your reads and be able to tag someone and place them in a group. It'll save you a lot of chips when your bluff is snapped.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 AM

The AG is more important than the L in LAG. You shouldn't be calling many hands still, unless you plan on raising a ton on the flop. You need deep stacks and tight opponents to do this in an sng if you'd like to make any money.