Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 07:33 PM

Default bad hi/lo session

Seat 7 didn't seem very good, played some crap starting hands. Seat 3 had no fold button and was a sick luckbox. Raises meant little with this group. Seat 4, who made a rare 3rd street fold here, had 'Holdem' in his screenname and overvalued big hands but still won some sickening pots. It was one of those sessions where if I was the only one showing 2 babies on 4th and I bet, everyone else calls and I brick all the way to the river.

Also, how bad/common is a 40 BB slide across 233 hands of hi/lo (~4 hours online)?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.80 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.40 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (6.40 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (9.40 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls___calls

Total pot: (15.40 BB)
Old 10-10-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: bad hi/lo session

Ugh - you must raise fourth unless you have no chance of folding the missed lows. Even if they don't fold, it's a good value raise.

River c/r is thin, as you have only poor hands for each half of the pot. Read dependent.

-40BB swings happens. Ever dropped a dime? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh - you must raise fourth unless you have no chance of folding the missed lows. Even if they don't fold, it's a good value raise.

River c/r is thin, as you have only poor hands for each half of the pot. Read dependent.

-40BB swings happens. Ever dropped a dime? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and yes I have dropped a dime. :-(
Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 PM

I think you really need to raise on fourth and try to get it heads up with the twos. One two was dead already so it is very unlikely that he has trips although not impossible, but he isn't playing the hand very aggressively if he has trips. Anyway I bet sixth as well and hope the low raises to try and get it heads up as well. You would really like to see your aces be good for high and catch another baby and steal the low half as well.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you really need to raise on fourth and try to get it heads up with the twos. One two was dead already so it is very unlikely that he has trips although not impossible, but he isn't playing the hand very aggressively if he has trips. Anyway I bet sixth as well and hope the low raises to try and get it heads up as well. You would really like to see your aces be good for high and catch another baby and steal the low half as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reviewing the hand today, 4th looked like a raise to me as well. But I knew these people wouldn't fold. I probably should have just left the table the way things were going. Horrible run of cards and me getting in a fouler mood by the hand.

Anyway, Seat 3 had 4c 2h Ah Jh 3c 7d Ts (a legit hand I suppose)
Seat 7 had As Kc 2c 2d Th 5h Ks (PUKE)

Just one more bad beat post and I'll quit whining. Comments welcome on it too. I'm guessing 6th and 7th are check-calls? Seat 4 is awful (the hold'em guy mentioned above).

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.35 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (6.35 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (9.35 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___raises
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls

Total pot: (15.35 BB)

Results:
Total pot $30.70 | Rake $1

Hero: [6s 5s As 5h Tc 3d 5c] (HI: three of a kind, Fives)

Seat 3: [6c 5d 7c 2c Kh 8d 9d] (HI: a straight, Five to Nine; LO: 8,7,6,5,2)

Seat 4: [7h 3h Th 3s Ad 8h Ts]
Old 10-10-2005, 11:44 PM

Fold fifth - you are possibly behind a pair of aces for high and a four-card low for the other half.

Failing to make these fold is very costly. Well, less costly at these stakes since your opponents are less likely to have the goods. Still a fold.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:27 AM

It really looks like you were steaming pretty bad to take another card off on 5th street even after catching 2 bricks... and betting out on 6th representing a low when you have made it clear that no one is folding in this game

I'd save my money for better spots, but I've found myself doing the same things before when I've been on tilt, and usually I try to leave or at least take a little break when I do catch myself playing sub-optimally

I do find myself on tilt in Stud/8 more than in any other game because of the "brick factor"

Mike
Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 AM

Third: fine. Fourth: fine. Fifth: probably check and fold. Sixth: check and call. Why bet? Do you think your Fives are the best hand? Do you think the other guys are folding? Do you think you're going to hit on the river?

I think betting the river was fine but you can only call the raise.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:01 AM

Raise fourth. Yeesh. I think the check-raise on the river was optimistic. I don't think your Aces are good for high, and I don't think your low is strong enough to be laying 2:1 on the end. I might bet on the end, but I've always been kinda stupid. Best to check and call.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever dropped a dime?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once or twice.