Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Defending the BB 5/10

This hand probably looks very obvious to you, but I'm having serious issues with hands like this. It seems what happens everytime is that I bet flop, bet turn and get raised then fold. Do you ever not bet the flop and turn except when the board is very draw heavy? What is your default line against an unknown?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ...
Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Defending the BB 5/10

i usually don't raise this preflop and just take it from there.

umm... flop bet is good. sometimes i just check/fold the turn. sometimes i bet/fold, i guess it mainly depends on my image at the time. if i'm running good and showing down winners, bet/fold. if i've been caught getting out of line a lot, i lean more towards check/fold.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:26 PM

Since you asked, your flop bet is completely obvious. You've got lots of fold equity except against all but the loosest opponents on these A-hi flops.

The turn is a sticky situation that I also don't have a good handle on. The board is draw heavy, which means he might be on the draw, but you're going to have to fire two more barrels to get him to fold if he misses, which makes things pretty expensive.

Compounding our problem is the fact that we've just now picked up a few more outs, and we'd really like to see the river, but we're OOP.

I think I've been betting hands like this on the turn too often, because this is a popular spot to get raised. On the other hand, check / folding feels really weak.

I'm looking forward to reading other responses that are more useful than mine is.

-Brian

ps - Is there anything to be said for setting up some turn check-throughs on hands like this by check raising the turn on less draw-heavy boards when we have top pair? I think Sklansky suggests something like this in HEFAP, but I always just end up betting the turn when I have top pair anyhow...
Old 09-12-2005, 08:27 PM

well played so far. id probably bet the turn because you probably have 10 outs and want to see the river, and the queen is a good scare card if he has like bottom pair.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:28 PM

is this always a raise preflop for you?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this always a raise preflop for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah
Old 09-12-2005, 08:30 PM

Yeah I remember reading that, but I dont think your average 5/t player will notice it enough for it to have any effect. I think sklansky may have been talking about live play?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well played so far. id probably bet the turn because you probably have 10 outs and want to see the river, and the queen is a good scare card if he has like bottom pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do if you get raised when you bet on the turn? I've been folding in these spots, figuring I'm usually up against an ace and don't have odds to draw...

-Brian
Old 09-12-2005, 08:34 PM

thanks,

i know preflop is boring but what else are you raising after a single limper while you're in the blinds? 66+, KTs+ ? any Qx that you're raising?

i guess it depends on the limper, but in general.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:45 PM

Looks good so far. I would bet/fold the turn.