Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 AM

Default yo 2+2: my first post and a hand i thought was easy (long)

i just wanted to say that i love this game, and i have this forum to thank for that. i dont think that there is anyplace else with this many phenomenal poker minds in one place who all contribute to the advancement of theirs and others' game. before i started playing, i was always weary to "jump on the bandwagon" because i thought internet poker was all a scam. but then one day at my crappy work, i found party on the computer. i thought that it would help me kill a few hours and by the end of my shift, i was hooked. so then after many many hours on the clock of play money games i thought i could handle the real games, but between being a poor college student (go noles!) and not having any of the necessary accounts i needed, it took me several god d*mn weeks before i could deposit any money to a site. in the mean time i bought hold em poker by sklansky and got my first real glimpse into poker. i had no idea how complex this game is and that book opened my eyes and really made me want to start studying poker (even though i could hardly understand some of the sections). this was my first introduction to 2+2 and later i came here to check out the forum after seeing the web address on the book. i have been lurking on here ever since then (about 4 months) although i havent gotten involved in any of the discussions (i didnt want to be flamed or somebody else said it better already). from there i read WLLH, GSIH, SSH, and TOP in that order while almost living in this forum. somewhere in the middle of WLLH i finally depositted $50 on party, and started to play .50/1 . right away i started building my bankroll. i had no rakeback (still dont) and no bonuses to speak of, but that didnt slow me down. i finished all of those books (WLLH and SSH several times) and even though i had a severely short bankroll for .5/1, i was quickly well above the 300 bb mark. then i started to get cocky (although it didnt seem like it at the time). i was absolutley crushing the game for 3 months and was up around 500 bb. i knew that a "good" player would bring in about 1bb/100, but i was running at around 9-10bb/100 the way i figured it. so i started to dabble in 1/2 and even gave 2/4 6-max a shot. i won a little and lost a little and my BR reached around $700. now i became convinced that i was the greatest poker player ever and "knew" that it was time to move up full time. i started 2-tabling 1/2 and 2/4, and started to experience the first real hits to my BR. the hits kept coming and within a couple of weeks i went broke. i think that this was due mostly to my bad play and thinking that i could simply make better decisions than anyone else. i think that going broke has been the biggest learning experience in my short poker career to date and in hindsite, realize that it was a neccessary step i had to take to becoming a winning player. through all of this i have learned how to and how important it is to analyze my play from every session, and the downfalls from being results oreinted. im still playing at .5/1 with an occasional 1/2 table here and i keep studying to get better.

i owe a huge debt to 2+2, this forum, and all of the posters that always write those brilliant poker essays for giving me such a wonderful game, and the knowledge to beat it.

here is a hand that gave me some trouble tonight.

BB has been LAGgy all night, MP is in his 2nd orbit at the table. nothing to hair raising from either yet.

partypoker .5/1 7-handed

hero is button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP calls, 1 fold, hero calls, SB completes, BB checks

is this a bad call w/one limper pf? do i need this to be a more multiway pot for K9s to be +ev? or should i be raising? i think pre-flop play is an area where i can vastly improve my game and im sorry if these questions seem basic.

flop (4 sb): K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets , MP calls, hero calls, SB calls

BB seemed LAGgy and has been a complete autobet. i figured that i might still be ahead and even if someone did had an A, there were still alot of cards (10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]'s, 2 K's, 3 9's) that would improve my hand on the turn. i would have raised to protect, but i might be behind and didnt want to walk into a BB 3-bet.

turn (4 bb): A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets, MP raises, Hero ??

can i safely fold here or are the chances that MP has an ace cut down enough to call down. also what could BB be betting out on the flop and turn with? i didnt catch any cards to improve and didnt think i could possibly be ahead given the action. i folded without any thought. hows my decision making in this hand?

better get used to me now, cuz im a 2+2er forever.

z