Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Re: DON\'T KILL TOOKIE

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, I watched the coverage of the vigil outside the gates of San Quentin very carefully; and I did not see one black face there.

Looks like Oakland didn't care as much about Tookie as Berkeley did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to hear your arguments about how this matters.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, I watched the coverage of the vigil outside the gates of San Quentin very carefully; and I did not see one black face there.

Looks like Oakland didn't care as much about Tookie as Berkeley did.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, you're wrong.

And should the picture get changed, here's a picture of a couple of protesters outside of San Quentin.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:31 AM

Meh. If this execution was so racially biased, where was the support from those of his own race? I don't mean the NAACP issuing a press release, I mean standing out there at the gates holding a candle.

IMO, because the rank and file black community supported this animal's execution.

As O'Reilly says, I'll give you the last word.

While Tookie's body cools [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Good job, NYT!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:33 AM

I gave my last word, namely a picture of black protesters.

Also, even if you were right that no black people showed up to protest, I don't see how that is indicative of support for his execution.

Edit: Good job! When you're smacked in the face with evidence that proves you're blatantly wrong, attack the source!
Old 12-13-2005, 06:50 AM

Default This bloodlust is sickening

Ok this is just bothersome. How can so many of you wish pain on so many people. I mean does Tookie have no one that cares about him (parents, siblings, etc) all of them are suffering because of this. It's not Tookie's fault he's being killed (as opposed to serving a life term) and those that care for him are paying a penelty as well.

Now I'm not against the dealth penelty, as long as guilt can be proven 100% (Video or DNA evidence) and if the person is so dangerous or unrepentant that execution is the only viable option. Otherwise, they can go to jail for life, tough but MUCH easier to undue.

People say, "Well then every prisoner will start writing children's books and giving speeches against violence to get their sentances commuted" to which my response is "Uhhh, that's bad why." Isn't that the idea behind the idea of rehabilitation. The only difference is that they're being held for life as opposed to killed.

And lastly for those who say that the price of keeping prisoners alive is reason to start killing them off:
Lets agree on a few facts:
-There are 3581 people on death row nationwide.
-In Texas, it costs $61.58 per day to house and feed a death row inmate.
-There are 365 days in a year
-There are 20,851,820 people in Texas

Ok now in Texas (which I think we can all agree is the death capital of the modern world) there are, let's estemate, 1000 people on death row (way too high, but it'll help illustrate the point). If there are 1000 people on Texas' death row right now, then using the above numbers we can figure out the cost to the average taxpayer of all the death row inmates:

(1000 people on death row* ($61.58 a day * 365 days/year))/20,851,820 Texans= $1.08 per year to the taxpayer.

Interesting no?

Source
Cody
Old 12-13-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: This bloodlust is sickening

Richard I appreciate your well thought out post and I'm opposed to the death penalty for the reasons you imply when you write:

[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm not against the dealth penelty, as long as guilt can be proven 100% (Video or DNA evidence)

[/ QUOTE ]

Too many times for my taste people are given the death penalty when guilt isn't proven 100%. I'll just leave it at that.

Anyway you also wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
People say, "Well then every prisoner will start writing children's books and giving speeches against violence to get their sentances commuted" to which my response is "Uhhh, that's bad why." Isn't that the idea behind the idea of rehabilitation. The only difference is that they're being held for life as opposed to killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think rehabilitation is the only reason perhaps not the main reason people are sent to prison. They're sent to prison to remove them from society as well as receive punishment.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They're sent to prison to remove them from society as well as receive punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, then keep them there. I have no complains, although I think the message Tookie put out probably helped save a life or two, so why not encourage it (not that you were saying not to, just saying it's a positive).

Cody
Old 12-13-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They're sent to prison to remove them from society as well as receive punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, then keep them there. I have no complains, although I think the message Tookie put out probably helped save a life or two, so why not encourage it (not that you were saying not to, just saying it's a positive).

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Your points are well taken and I am opposed to the death penalty as it currently stands. Not sure how convincing the evidence was against Williams but I'd have to review the case.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 AM

Richard,

"Isn't that the idea behind the idea of rehabilitation."

The criminal justice system is not and should not be about rehabilitation. It is about punishment and protecting society.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The criminal justice system is not and should not be about rehabilitation. It is about punishment and protecting society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horseshit, it's about vengence and your thrust for blood (perhaps not yours, but those harmed), and in most cases, the agrieved don't care who pays for it, just someone.

Cody