Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 PM

Default MTT\'s and drinking alcohol(serious topic)

I have been pondering something for the past couple weeks, looking at my results from MTT's for the past month or so, when I realized something very strange. I have moneyed 1/15ish tourney's when I am sober, and moneyed 8/11(with 1 FT, and 2 tourneys at the final 2 tables) when drinking. Has anybody else found a corellation between things similar to this that shouldn't really affect your results or should affect them in the opposite way? I am suprised to see this correlation, I have always noticed that I am more patient when I am drinking, and I also eliminate alot of "complex plays". I don't know, I am drinking now and probably rambling. I just wanted to see if anybody else in the forum has similar results, could this just be sample size?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Re: MTT\'s and drinking alcohol(serious topic)

I tend to get just loose enough where I go from Tight Passive to Tight Aggressive and that improves my game...

breaks my heart that I can't do it on a clean day as easily -

RB
Old 08-24-2005, 11:06 PM

i tend to play fairly well when drinking. not when i'm blackout drunk, but decently cut. as for tourneys i find it surprising your results are that drastic.

i would think that you'd cash more when sober, but maybe make it deeper a few times when you're drunk due to a more aggressive style.

when i'm drunk i can actually focus better because i really concentrate on focusing, whereas when i'm sober i do stuff like this (browse 2+2), and a plethora of other activities that don't help my gameplay.

as a side note, i still don't advocate for drinking. it just can't be a good idea. if you're serious when you're sober, even take what you learn when you're drunk, you should be much better. i think i'm rambling too.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 PM

What's suprising is I am tighter when drinking, I take far more bad beats when sober because I am willing to mix it up trying to get a large stack, but since I am in pots more often I have more of a chance to get bad beated I suppose. I just found it was strange and I was wondering if it was a coincidence, or if others had found the same thing out, I remember hearing somewhere that some people fear Layne Flack FAR more when he has been drinking, and wondering if any of the other MTT posters had ever noticed the same thing.

John
Old 08-24-2005, 11:23 PM

So the saga continues, I just hit the money in another tourney(like I said I am drinking), I only have 2/3rd the ave. stack but I am here, and capable of going deep with a lucky double up and a tight table, this is really boggling my mind.

John
Old 08-25-2005, 03:18 AM

I can vouch for this theory as well. Usually once I start moving deeper ITM I begin to drink at a pretty feverish pace just out of nervousness and anticipation of the big payouts at the FT. I'm never stone cold drunk, but I feel like once I get a good buzz going I'm a little more relaxed and stop getting overly worked up whenever I'm in a big pot, which in turn helps make my decision making process a little easier to manage at that stage of the tournament.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:54 AM

I dont have the stats but i feel when i am buzzed i relax and make the right moves without overthinking anything and i do better more consistantly.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 03:58 AM

wow thats why I see people re-reraising me with A 5 late, I knew they were drunk!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:07 AM

It makes sense, and about Layne Flack, he may be the best player in the world at accumilating chips. Plus on a random side note that WPT when he played Jerry Buss he was visibly hammered, and just absolutely owned him. I was laughing so hard watching that one night.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:23 AM

Great. Now I have an excuse to drink every night. Just what i needed.