Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Blowing a $600 profit in under 5 minutes- how bad did i play? $200NL

I like check call way better in #1 shortstack or no. If you check villian might make a move with anything. If you bet 50 bucks villian probably only calls with something like overcards with a spade, which would make him the favorite, or a hand that already has hero beat.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Blowing a $600 profit in under 5 minutes- how bad did i play? $200

[ QUOTE ]
I like check call way better in #1 shortstack or no. If you check villian might make a move with anything. If you bet 50 bucks villian probably only calls with something like overcards with a spade, which would make him the favorite, or a hand that already has hero beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate checking a flop oop after being the pf raiser because I'll never do it unless I'm check raising. Either way checking this flop is not an option, free cards can be horrible.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3 seems fine.

1 and 2 are overly aggro. for no reason. 2 is close but for sure 1 is silly. You're treating the short stack here like you would in a tourney. This is a cash game though so it doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you pot the flop (wich you should) you are getting a gazillion-1 odds on the call after villain pushes, just push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you need to bet pot here. The reason you raise so much PF is because of the limpers.

Now that it's HU, I think you can fire out $10-$15 and it doesn't look weak. Then he'll fold or call with his overcards and when a blank falls on the turn you push. If he pushes on the flop, call. I just don't see why you need to bet $50 for $20. Again, this isn't a tourney.

This pot is getting built to 35BB's HU before the opponent has acted on the turn for no discernable reason? Stop being so afraid of overcards hitting on the turn/river.

And if he has JJ, QQ, KK, AA, you are drawing slim. Throwing $50 at $20 in a cash game just seems silly. Check/pushing makes more sense than open-pushing.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3 seems fine.

1 and 2 are overly aggro. for no reason. 2 is close but for sure 1 is silly. You're treating the short stack here like you would in a tourney. This is a cash game though so it doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you pot the flop (wich you should) you are getting a gazillion-1 odds on the call after villain pushes, just push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you need to bet pot here. The reason you raise so much PF is because of the limpers.

Now that it's HU, I think you can fire out $10-$15 and it doesn't look weak. Then he'll fold or call with his overcards and when a blank falls on the turn you push. If he pushes on the flop, call. I just don't see why you need to bet $50 for $20. Again, this isn't a tourney.

This pot is getting built to 35BB's HU before the opponent has acted on the turn for no discernable reason? Stop being so afraid of overcards hitting on the turn/river.

And if he has JJ, QQ, KK, AA, you are drawing slim. Throwing $50 at $20 in a cash game just seems silly. Check/pushing makes more sense than open-pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

did u notice that all the flop cards have something in commom?

If you bet $10 to a $25 pot on a monotone flop you might as well have checked, wich you can't do (really, you can't)

Take your mind out of "$50 into $20", anything decent you bet has you commited and you have to bet
Old 12-27-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hate checking a flop oop after being the pf raiser because I'll never do it unless I'm check raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is more than one way to skin a cat. I dont never do anything, and I am way more likley to check a pot out of position than in position.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont never do anything

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, never is a harsh word, but really...I'm not check folding on this flop, hu, against a short stack so when I check he has to know what's coming. And I'll say it again: there's no way you can check this flop and risk it being checked through.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Blowing a $600 profit in under 5 minutes- how bad did i play? $200NL

#1, you pushed into a potential flopped straight. no no no no no, never do this, ever. unless its you with the straight.
#2. see #1 above. Ya did it again.
#3 Here you have the second best straight. K,J is the winning straight. The flush draw is a nice little extra for your hand though. The raise tells me he has you at least tied. I like the push to try to get him to fold. Did you hit the flush?
In general: this does look like tilt. We've all been there. along with it goes this feeling of "entitlement" that gets us to thinking that "this hand is mine" , even if we don't have the best hand. This attitude will break you very quickly.
the other thing here is, you are up huge just before all this happens. I have an index card that reminds me often that " It's much harder to hang on to poker winnings than to make them." I've often lost a big stack right back to the table and left with less than i started with. Now, i often leave a table if i'm way up. This starts me out on a new table with a small stack again. This is good. It keeps me cautious. It keeps me "humble"... i'm still not "the king of poker".....that kind of thing. We must learn to keep that ego in check.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:06 AM

1. I don't particularly like the push. If you lead out for $15 (2/3 of the pot) and he calls, you are committing him, so your money's in unless it's a nasty turn. However, you define your hand and you do have some fold equity. If he raises all-in, I'd have trouble calling it. If he flat calls, you're pushing the turn, like I said above.

2. I don't like a *push* here... However, it's not, really. You're betting $68 into a $83 pot on the turn, you're not pushing per se. Fine with me.

3. I dislike the open raise with JTs oop. Post-flop, I don't mind it so much, though I don't see myself pushing a draw without TP after a show of strength from the villain. All in all, I think that if you're going to play JTs from EP, play it cheaply and with a number of contestants, so your implied odds are through the roof.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
#1, you pushed into a potential flopped straight. no no no no no, never do this, ever. unless its you with the straight.
#2. see #1 above. Ya did it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh, what, lol
Old 12-28-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike the open raise with JTs oop. Post-flop, I don't mind it so much, though I don't see myself pushing a draw without TP after a show of strength from the villain. All in all, I think that if you're going to play JTs from EP, play it cheaply and with a number of contestants, so your implied odds are through the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't limit