Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 06:24 PM

Default hit trips on river, get raised all in

$10 NL on UB

I know i shouldn't raise A8o in EP but it was the best hand i've seen in a while and was getting bored.

Villain seems fairly decent, nothing out of line.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 ($20.05)
CO ($17.36)
Button ($6.13)
SB ($4)
BB ($1.40)
UTG ($2.56)
Hero ($12.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.45</font>, MP2 calls $0.45, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($1.05) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.55</font>, MP2 calls $0.55.

Turn: ($2.15) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $1.

River: ($6.15) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $13.65</font>, Hero calls $7.35 (All-In).

Final Pot: $29.65

What should i have done on the river? I figured he either has a boat or an overpair. A straight or a backdoored flush is highly unlikely. Getting 2.5:1 odds, does an overpair push the river enough for a call to be profitable?

Also, how's my play on the flop/turn? I hate being out of position on the turn after my c-bet get called.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: hit trips on river, get raised all in

[ QUOTE ]
$10 NL on UB

I know i shouldn't raise A8o in EP but it was the best hand i've seen in a while and was getting bored.

[/ QUOTE ]
Worst, reason, ever. A huge part of poker is patience, and picking your spots. After your continuation bet on the flop gets called, you are done with it unless a miracle card comes on the turn. Check/fold the turn.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:20 PM

This hand is an excellent example of why not to play this crap out of position; you hit the flop reasonably well and still don't really know where you are.

That said, I think you should have pushed the flop harder with a PSB in an attempt to end it there.

On a blank turn, you could fire again and probably take it. The suited ten, however, puts an overcard to your pair, a flush draw, and a straight draw on the board, so I would be check/folding at this point.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:31 PM

Don't open for 4.5x bb with ax in EP.

DOn't bet weak on the flop.

Don't bet weak on the turn.

Don't call the turn minraise.

If you are going to block the river, fold to the all in.

Don't play hands because you are bored.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:54 PM

Im most worried about 98s here. Maybe the ten on turn made a straigth for him.
You have to bet the flop, could bet it harder, but this looks fine.
Turn and river is most difficult, and its difficult to comment there without a read. If you plan to call a push, you could push yourself there, since your trips is well disguised, so he could call with something like overpair or A9.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:31 PM

If you raise this crap that's what's going to happen. He raised you on the turn and you still thought your pair of 8's was good why?. Then you lead into him and he pushes the river. Looks like a monster to me, you've shown strength on three streets and he doesn't care. FOLD PREFLOP FOLD TURN FOLD RIVER and if you have a reason why you didn't you need to state it explicitly.