Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: 200NL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the call and look for a good turn card option

[/ QUOTE ]

what could possibly be a good turn card? Any spade gives A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] x a flush, any pair gives a set a fh/quads. If its not one of those we are in the same position we are on the flop. Our hand can't improve. Can someone tell me why wait until the turn to try and get it allin?

[/ QUOTE ]

By safe turn card I mean any non spade A/K/7/6/5/4/3/2

The theory behind this is that if you are up against a set or a bare A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] it is much better to put some money in on the turn when they only have one card left to hit there hand. You will get raised by a set or bare ace much less on the turn because their equity just got chopped in half, so you avoid the problem of getting 5-bet on the flop and not knowing if villian has the flush or only has 1/3 equity
Old 12-31-2005, 03:01 AM

why push that river? waiting for the turn card is a good move IMO.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what could possibly be a good turn card? Any spade gives A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] x a flush, any pair gives a set a fh/quads. If its not one of those we are in the same position we are on the flop. Our hand can't improve. Can someone tell me why wait until the turn to try and get it allin?

[/ QUOTE ]

The theory behind this is that if you are up against a set or a bare A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] it is much better to put some money in on the turn when they only have one card left to hit there hand. You will get raised by a set or bare ace much less on the turn because their equity just got chopped in half, so you avoid the problem of getting 5-bet on the flop and not knowing if villian has the flush or only has 1/3 equity

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the lesson. I never understood this before, but I do now.

Basically pot any non scary turn and if he plays back you can be pretty sure ur behind. If a scare card comes you can get away for $44 instead of a potential $350.

Right?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt the equity of a set INCREASE on a blank ("safe?" turn.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:29 AM

Bet the turn harder, make his spade pay.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:57 AM

I like the flop call of button reraise. If you get it all in here, you're either slight fav or drawing dead often.

Wait for turn to blank, then get more in. There are at least 18 cards you dont want to see, but these cards will slow him down as well. The fourth spade will shut down his set, and the paired board will make it less expensive when he has flush.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Doesnt the equity of a set INCREASE on a blank ("safe?" turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

against a draw yes, against a made straight no
Old 12-31-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That preflop call was absolutely disgusting though.

[/ QUOTE ]

he only plays aces to deuces to preflop raises and never connecting high cards because he'll go broke with top pair more than his oppenants at his level... that's the implication he's making by stating this so matter-of-factly...

booooooooooo
Old 12-31-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a scare card comes you can get away for $44 instead of a potential $350.

Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's be my plan. check/fold turn, if he checks behind I check river and ponder a call if the board is paired