Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Hybrid Cars

Anybody out there own one? Know somebody who does? You like? They like? Is the technology 30 years away from making the purchase of one worthwhile? I've read a little about them, but I haven't heard any personal testimonials.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Hybrid Cars

I know several people that own them. They love the gas mileage, but if you are the kind of person that likes big cars......
Old 03-25-2005, 05:16 PM

A lady friend of mine gets 70+ (she says 74) mpg with this car.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/404774.asp

She loves it.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Honda's hybred has been on the market for a couple of years now.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:19 PM

Honda also has hybrid models of the civic and accord if you don't want the hardcore one.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:11 PM

I've heard (but haven't done the math) that the extra cost of the vehicle is about equal to what you would pay at the pump for the extra gas over the average life of the vehicle.

May or may not be true, but worth exploring if your looking.

Also I read that there are supposed to be more than 50 different hybrid models on the market within the next 5 years or so. (that number may be off a bit cause it was a few months ago I read it).

I'm waiting for my car to die and for them to make a convertible model. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 07:39 PM

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid.

I get 38-41 mpg and split my driving about 50/50 between city and highway.

I figure to save $500/yr. on gas. The Hybrid is about $3,500 more than a non-hybrid. Hondas last more than seven years. It's a good investment.

And the engine turns off at traffic lights. Neat-o.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:00 PM

What's the maintenance like? Do you need to take it to a dealer?

Part of my worry with hybrid cars is that since they've only been on the market a few years, no one really knows how they hold up over the long haul. If that part that combines electric and gas power to your wheels breaks, you're screwed. And who knows how long its lifetime is?

The Doc
Old 03-26-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the maintenance like? Do you need to take it to a dealer?

Part of my worry with hybrid cars is that since they've only been on the market a few years, no one really knows how they hold up over the long haul. If that part that combines electric and gas power to your wheels breaks, you're screwed. And who knows how long its lifetime is?

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Maintenance? For a Honda? You need to get regular oil changes. Actually, the Hybrid has a special oil filter, so it's recommended that you take it to a dealer. As someone else mentioned, all parts are under warranty for 36k miles or 3 years.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Honda Civic Hybrid.

I get 38-41 mpg and split my driving about 50/50 between city and highway.

I figure to save $500/yr. on gas. The Hybrid is about $3,500 more than a non-hybrid. Hondas last more than seven years. It's a good investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Civic LX with manual transmission and airbags retails for $15,860. A Civic Hybrid with manual tramsmission, $19,900. That's $4,000 more and it underestimates the hybrid's true cost since dealers are getting premiums for hybrids. My friend paid at least $10k more for his prius than a corolla would have cost.

You are getting 40 mpg, while the DX is at 34.5 mpg (averaging city and highway). You may note that the EPA thinks your highway mpg is higher, but that's because their test methodology is flawed for hybrids. Hybrids struggle to beat non-hybrid's highway mileage because the hybrid equipment is dead weight at a steady cruising speed. So you are about 6 mpg better than a Civic DX.

To save $500 a year in gas, at $2.30 per a gallon means you are saving 220 gallons a year. This means driving 30,000 miles a year. What are you, a cab driver?

At a $4k premium, it's going to take 160k miles before gas savings will equal it (not counting lost interest costs or additional maintainance cost). In reality, the hybrid premiums at current market prices are much higher than $4k, and hybrids simply don't come close to making financial sense.

But that's okay. They are cool cars that offer great psychic benefits to their owners. Eventually the cost of adding hybrid technology will drop to less than $1k and it will become standard equipment on virtually all cars. But until then, just be happy with your cool, but expensive, car.