Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:31 AM

Default This hand has me wondering...

if my play influenced my opponents tact on this hand. i'll give more info later to avoid results-oriented thinking.

stars multi. about 700 entries, down to about 250. i'm average in chips. i've been playing tighter than normal because of a few maniacs that just busted out, but i'm getting back to my normal, sligthly LAG game. i've been aggro when i was in a hand, but not overly so. i would say that i was the most aggressive at the table, but not playing like maniac by any means. i'd made a few succesful blind steals, taken down a few pots with continuation bets on the flop... normal stuff.

ok... hero is in the BB with A5o. i think we were at 100/200 +25 at this point.
four limpers. i check.

flop is AK9 rainbow.

i think my ace is probably good, but i want to take it down now if i can. so i bet out 3/4 of the pot, but i get 2 callers.

turn is a 5.

i bet out half the pot. one fold, and then a min-raise?!? i call.

river is a 4.

i bet half the pot again. i get reraised enough to put me all-in. call? or do you get away from this with a few chips left?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: This hand has me wondering...

I think he has you, probably with A9. The min-raise is the tell. After that, I'm checking the river and folding to his large bet, but paying off a min bet. This guy feels like an inexperienced or possibly inebriated player!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:34 AM

as long as it wasn't a huge buy in,i'd easily committ my chips here on the turn,99 would be the main hand i'd be worried about,and he played it similiar to how i would if i had 99 vs an ace.if i ran into trips with 2 pair,so be it,or 2 bigger pair,but i think you'll come out ahead most often in this spot with 2 pair,end up being against aq-a10,or even kq.although most likely you ran into a bigger hand this time,since you're posting about it and remembering it,lol!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 PM

FWIW I check this flop and see how the action develops behind me with 5 players in the hand. Betting out these kind of flops with a weak Ace is a way to lose A LOT of chips IMO. Depending on how the action unfolds after me I either raise or fold the flop (I don't like flat calling here at all) and if I get to the turn I certainly like this card. Bet out and call the raise.

The river most likely doesn't change the situation for you at all (he's not playing 23 or 44 like this is he?). If he raised you on the turn, he's probably raising you on the river if you bet out, so I check/call down here hoping for a cheap showdown.

-Rizen
Old 11-17-2005, 12:42 PM

that was pretty close to my line of thinking. i was concerned about 99, but decided i was probably ahead of his range.

you're right... im posting because he had a monster. he flipped over KK! he limped with it in MP, and then worked me over after he hit his set.

that has happened to me a couple of times lately, and i'm starting to think that people are pegging me as a slow play target because i'm getting a little too aggressive. paranoia or real problem?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:22 PM

PF: I put in a sizeable raise to try to take what the limpers have laid out for you.

Flop: What makes you think top pair 5 kicker is good when there are 4 limpers. Check and re-evaluate after you see the other action.

Turn: Now that you've made 2 pair, I don't think there is anyway I get away from this hand. Pot's too big.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF: I put in a sizeable raise to try to take what the limpers have laid out for you.

Flop: What makes you think top pair 5 kicker is good when there are 4 limpers. Check and re-evaluate after you see the other action.

Turn: Now that you've made 2 pair, I don't think there is anyway I get away from this hand. Pot's too big.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your flop and turn analysis seem somewhat contradictory. Sure pot odds come into play on the turn but after all of that action, top and bottom pair is not going to win very often. I check/fold to a big bet on the river.
He shouldn't have bet the turn, betting (less) on the flop is fine with top pair even with limpers.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:01 PM

you don't fire another bet after improving to Aces up?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:56 PM

I'm with Rizen on this one. your average in chips so not panic time. I'm also pretty comfortable folding this one to any action on the flop. Just doesn't seem worth it to me to invest to many chips only to find out I'm behind AJ or A10.

Of course if you bet/call the flop and hit your 2nd pair on the turn, you gonna lose all your chips figuring your only behind A9, 99 (noone is expecting the limping kings)

Yeah, the more I think, the more I am check/folding here. i don't like to play Small Aces OOP, even when its free.

But I'm weak/tight so...
Old 11-17-2005, 06:04 PM

I agree with Rizen. A5 is crap. What is most intersting is this statement from you:

[ QUOTE ]

flop is AK9 rainbow.

i think my ace is probably good, but i want to take it down now if i can. so i bet out 3/4 of the pot, but i get 2 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a huge leak. Thinking your A5 is good against 4 limpers is really poor thinking. You can't possibly have a read on 4 people who just limped. So why would your A5 be good? Because you want it to be good?