Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 03:58 PM

Default Was I stupid?

Hello,
I got this hand as the BB. On the flop it looked good - middle pair and flush draw. Did I misplay the turn? Should I have just checked? On the river I made a crying call becuase the players at the table were playing lots of small pairs and I thought there was a chance consistent with the pot odds that I would win.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 11-05-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Was I stupid?

I'd check-call the turn, but I'm usally accused of being weak-tight. If there was 5 players on the turn I think I bet it. Calling the raise is clearly correct.

On the river you can only reasonably be ahead of a bluff. Player dependant, of course, but turn raises tend to have meaning. If he likes showing down crap, you have a call. It would be an awful strange bluff though.

He has a weak ace and likes that the turn reduces his kicker problems?
Old 11-05-2004, 04:09 PM

check the turn, call the river if it helps you sleep at night.

-d
Old 11-05-2004, 04:11 PM

Nothing wrong with leading that turn. You want gutshots, as well as K, Q, and Js to fold. You have a very strong draw on the flop, and you still have a good hand on the turn. Call this down after the raise.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Results

UTG had an A with a little kicker and took down the pot
Old 11-05-2004, 08:02 PM

I don't like the turn bet. You bet the flop because you've got a strong draw and you're getting value on the bets that come in. On the turn, the only reason to bet is to drive out KQJ. But given the fact that you were quite possibly behind on the flop (Ax) so you're NOT getting value on the turn bets, I think it's better the check-call. The BB you spend trying to knock out KQJ is lost money (ie, -EV) because you don't recoup enough when they do fold (because of all the times you lose to Ax or a better jack).