Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Tough laydown

I'm UTG with 66, about 850 in front of me... villain is to my left with about 1.1k... this is 2/5 NL on Pokerroom.

I call, villain calls... MP raises to 12, 2 or 3 callers and me and villain call.

Flop comes 6-2-8 rainbow... I check in first (would normally bet the set but with so many in the hand, I planned on check-raising). Villain bets 30, MP folds, another MP raises to 60. Back to me, I raise to 120. Villain then comes over the top and goes all in for his remaining 1k or so.

Now at this point I've played with him for about 1 hour and haven't seen anything usual, seems pretty straightforward, not tricky. There's obviously no draws here and he wouldn't be putting all his chips at risk with just an overpair I figure.

I lay it down and he says he had 88. Would you have laid it down also?
Old 01-30-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Tough laydown

What does MP do?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:01 PM

If you don't go all in with 66 here what do you go all in with? Just wait for the absolute nuts? I find it hard to believe he led out with and then re-raised 1.1k with the nuts...
Old 01-30-2005, 06:04 PM

I agree. He really butchered this hand if he had 88. It was nearly a drawless board.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:06 PM

Actually reguardless of what MP does, I'm getting my chips in here 100% of the time. I think bottom set is just as likely as top set.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:07 PM

Ummm, if you know the player very well AND considering the board, maybe I'd fold 22 here, but probably not. I would never fold 66 here. If you know for an absolute fact that villain has either 22 or 88 and its 50/50, then its still correct to call b/c of the money already out there. And of course alot of the time the guy will just have top 2 or an overpair or whatever. Nuff said.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:11 AM

Do you really think 88 plays there hand like this? unless you have a hand like 7-9 which he can most likely rule out because you are UTG, then you are drawing to at best 2 outs, he has position, and your c/r means you will lead out 99% on the turn for sizeable bet whatever card comes next, if he pushes there then you will call his all in, i mean if he plays 88 like this thatd be real hard to believe, i am having trouble putting him on a hand with his small raise pf but make him show you 88 here and call
Old 01-31-2005, 01:22 AM

this is a definite call. if you go fearing the pure nuts every time you play, you will get run over. of course 88 is possibile, as are many other hands. assuming 22 is equally likely, you are +ev to call simply because of pot odds. not to be disrespectful but this is a horrible play. you will not make money laying down hands this easily. if that isn't enough rationale to call, consider how strange it would be for this guy to play top set that fast on that board.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:12 AM

You have to be much deeper to even consider folding this hand. This hand is either made up OR you need to stop playing NL.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:19 AM

switch the title to "bad laydown" and you're dead on the money.

and i don't care if after you folded he turned 8-8 face up.
don't play results poker, barring a solid read on your opponent you can't be folding in this spot.