Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 05:18 AM

Default AA - faced with an all in on turn

Just the background, nothing is really known about the players since this was about 10 minutes or so into the game.

FullTiltPoker Game #344920084: Table Camden Rose
$0.50/$1 - No Limit Hold'em

Seat 6: VILLAIN ($100)
Seat 7: HERO ($103.55)

VILLAIN posts $1
The button is in seat #7

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to HERO [A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

UTG folds
Folds to VILLAIN
VILLAIN raises to $3
HERO raises to $7
SB folds
BB folds
VILLAIN calls $4

*** FLOP *** [3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
VILLAIN checks
HERO bets $15.50
VILLAIN calls $15.50

*** TURN *** [3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
VILLAIN bets $77.50, and is all in

So what do you do here? And along with that, what mistakes have I made during the course of play so far? (results in white below)

<font color="white"> HERO calls $77.50
VILLAIN shows [9s Td]
HERO shows [As Ad]

*** RIVER *** [3c Tc 7d 9h] [Ts]
VILLAIN shows a full house, Tens full of Nines
HERO shows two pair, Aces and Tens
VILAIN wins the pot ($198.50) with a full house, Tens full of Nines </font>
Old 12-20-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: AA - faced with an all in on turn

Coming into the turn you were a 4 to 1 favorite to win the hand and made your opponent take 2 to 1 odds. That was great.

Unfortunately, you got very unlucky on the turn, and your opponent was able to make you take 3 to 2 odds as a 4 to 1 underdog.

The only way out of the hand was to decide that your opponent got lucky on the turn and to make the tough laydown.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 AM

I guess you could have reraised for a little more preflop, but so far you have played the hand fine. Given that you have no reads on this player I would go ahead and make this call. Most players would play a set much slower than this. Plus I've seen many players with QQ or KK call my reraise with no intention to fold unless an ace or king flops, so once they get a good flop they put all their chips in with it.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:50 AM

Usually with a set the line is to check/raise the turn. An odd play that way. Maybe villain thought that you could fold an overpair to a check/raise? You are beat. Fold.

Don't ever anymore min-raise preflop. I'd call you with any two (almost) if I was sure that you had those aces.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:14 AM

Since this is heads up, barring a really good read, I don't see laying this down.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 AM

You're very rarely ahead here. It seems an odd play by villain but this is a clear fold IMO. My rule of thumb is that the later in the hand a villain raises/pushes when you've shown strength, the less likely he is to be bluffing/semi-bluffing.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:11 AM

I probably don't lay this down either, mainly because he raised preflop. Most unknowns aren't raising T9. I think realistically i'm more afraid of TT than 99, but I think he's got JJ-KK often enough to make your hand good here a significant amount of the time.

This is a good example of the value of deception on his part. Pays to raise with some non-standard raising hands on occassion because people never put you on that hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 AM

His preflop raise and call is of the sort that makes me wonder how some players can have a stack at all, it often turns out they have sizeble stacks. Probably he expect a lot of FE for his C-bets. This is a real puke-call/puke-fold one. How is this guy thinking? Why does he want to push u off when he finally hits?
I fold this one without a read saying he likes to steal raised pots + the fact that he have some kind of read that u can fold PP. Ask him to show and fold, dont forget to puke.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 AM

Preflop: re-raise to $11.

Turn: As played, you're getting about 3:5. Honestly, I fold here. Remember: you have one-pair and the opponent wants you to callin. Grit, fold, feel free to kick the cat if you have one.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 PM

Anyone notice that the hand posted seems to be in a 2-handed game? I'd find it pretty tough to ever lay down AA in a heads up match on this board.