Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games

Old 08-20-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Online Monopoly for cash(95% luck?)

Most of this is right, but I can't disagree more with the statement that railroads are worthless. The railroads are easily in the top 3 set of properties (behind BW/PP, the reds, and maybe the oranges).

There is a website that talks about the best properties to own in terms of EV and other strategies (like the 3 houses thing).

Like poker, monopoly seems to most people to be all luck, but in the long term it is all skill.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there is also more strategy involved when you play by the monopoly rules. in most home games if you run out of houses or hotels people allow you to make your own out of coins or whatever. in the real rules you can't do this so sometimes it is strategic to leave 4 houses on a property so your opponent can't buy any because there are none left.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is certainly my favorite monopoly strategy.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of this is right, but I can't disagree more with the statement that railroads are worthless. The railroads are easily in the top 3 set of properties (behind BW/PP, the reds, and maybe the oranges).

There is a website that talks about the best properties to own in terms of EV and other strategies (like the 3 houses thing).

Like poker, monopoly seems to most people to be all luck, but in the long term it is all skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither poker nor Monopoly is all skill. They are both a mix of the two.

The railroads are not worthless but their value decreases as more and more properties are built. In the early game they are useful but their value becomes negligible in the endgame.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:18 AM

My favorite monopoly strategy which i've never seen anyone else espouse is to trade High value props like Blue and Green for Lt blue and cash early in the game, especially if it gives them a monopoly on any of them, I can often get far over face value for them. Then I can hotel them all for a mere $750 while it costs them $200 per house for their properties. Then, when they hit my property, which they do like 2/3rd's of the time, i think, they usually have to mortgage some because they often spend tons just to get houses on Boardwalk, etc. Works likea charm, and I have NEVER lost a game HeadsUp when employing this strategy and the opponent makes the trade. Also, in HU matches, i tend to shy away from low side properties for house value reasons.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite monopoly strategy which i've never seen anyone else espouse is to trade High value props like Blue and Green for Lt blue and cash early in the game, especially if it gives them a monopoly on any of them, I can often get far over face value for them. Then I can hotel them all for a mere $750 while it costs them $200 per house for their properties. Then, when they hit my property, which they do like 2/3rd's of the time, i think, they usually have to mortgage some because they often spend tons just to get houses on Boardwalk, etc. Works likea charm, and I have NEVER lost a game HeadsUp when employing this strategy and the opponent makes the trade. Also, in HU matches, i tend to shy away from low side properties for house value reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am familiar with this strategy but you have to judge your opponent's finances and the other caveat I have is that it is not worth following as a fixed strategy.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:08 AM

Monopoly for real money would be very interesting. I would love to do it for 25% of what the actual prices are - bdwlk would be $10 instead of $400.

How would one keep the bank though? Say you have 4 players - would they all contribute to the bank to start the game?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Monopoly for real money would be very interesting. I would love to do it for 25% of what the actual prices are - bdwlk would be $10 instead of $400.

How would one keep the bank though? Say you have 4 players - would they all contribute to the bank to start the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played Monopoly for small cash sums. However, it was a fixed rate for the win of the game not x per monopoly dollar.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lastly i don't buy railroads or utilities. they are a waste of money and properties are much better. however often when playing with stupider people i will buy these because i know i can trade them for a property or for extra cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is smart advice, but you open yourself up to a "rope-a-DOPE." A savvy player would sucker you into thinking he is a moron so that you will buy the utilities.

BAYAM! Not till later in the game will you discover your folly!
Old 08-29-2004, 09:58 AM

Leave this topic alone, leave it to the pros.

-Dimitri