Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Blind stealing play -

This is my first post - I hope I've put it in the right forum.

I want to post a strategy I have used lately to help me steal blinds late in a 800-chip STT SnG. I have employed it when I haven't won any major pots, so I am a short stack with approx. 5-6 players left in level 4 or above. I tighten my push range from what would normally be a clear shorty push, and I only push pairs or AT+. I do not push A9 or below. I have found that even though I may be missing some stealing opportunites while doing so (and obviously decreasing my stack), when I do push I get called - people must think I'm now more desperate than ever since my stack has decreased some. When I get called, I'm usually ahead and double up. I still don't have a huge stack, and am probably still a short stack. But now when I make a steal attempt it is more respected and ususally successful.

Essentially, I guess I am tightening up waiting for a premium hand while other short stacks are loosening. I tolerate a decrease from say, 900 to 550 duing levels 4 and 5. But my double to 1100-ish and a few steals due to my tight image puts me back around 1700 - essentally where I would've been with a double up earlier. Also, it is usually another short stack calling me with thier wider range, so a player other than me is eliminated or crippled.

Thoughts? Have I been lucky or can this method yield sustained success?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Blind stealing play -

Sounds like you're relying on waiting for cards that do not often come. Folding A6s on the button when folded to as a short stack is retarded, if you can increase your chip stack by +10% or more by "stealing" with what is already probably the best hand, then by all means do it. Even if it only buys you one more orbit. You want to see the loose big blind call and bleed their chips.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:22 PM

i'm assuming this is a low buy in tourney.. i think ur giving to much credit to ur opposition. they are probably just playing there cards for the most part, and don't notice that you are that tight.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:32 PM

You're right - these are $11s. Thanks for the comments. I agree that it is probably too tight and has just worked out for me a few times. I think I slipped into this after a bad run when my A6s ran into A8/A9 etc.

Justin