Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-29-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Bad Beat Xmas Present

Guess this doesn't go in the Bad Beats forum since it's poker-related, so here goes.

I have a 91' Mazda Protege that's a POS (bought it for $2k in 02', had to get a new transmission, balljoints, 4 new tires, etc. spent over $4k on it because parents too dumb to just help me buy a new used (unsuckier) car) that just failed inspection for "rust in the floor panels" and a busted exhaust system. Stepfather fixes up a salvaged 96' Dodge Stratus for me with the works, and gives it to me for Xmas. Of course he hasn't driven it around yet since it's unregistered, but assures it's fine since he's an automechanic.

I get on the highway out of Rochester back home to Western Mass., and the RPM shoots up, the car shakes, and the car shuts off in the middle of the highway with the engine smoking a mile after I get on. I walk 2 miles before a State Parks cop picks me up and gets me to a phone, I call AAA and my stepfather/mother to pick me up and get the car towed. The car needs a new engine. And my current car now can get a potential whopping $75 at the repo place. Can't get a new car because my father just got laid off and I can't get any more than 15 hours at $7/hour at my on-campus job. Of course, none of my friends have cars, I rely on myself and myself only to go anywhere. Booooo [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Bad Beat Xmas Present

you could, uh, well, talk of doing this isnt allowed in this forum.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:31 AM

You live in W. Mass and only make $7 an hour? You can do better. There's tons of money out here if you're willing to work like a dog (less so in winter of course). What town are you in?

There's always a beater on sale for like 500 bucks or less in the Shopper's Guide if you really need one.

NT
Old 12-29-2005, 05:00 AM

@ Umass-Amherst (I don't get enough shifts of the higher-paying building supervisor position at my work which is $9 an hour and a lot less boring then swiping cards at the Fitness Center). I do get .25 raise every semester. I refuse to work at any Fast food or corporate places like Best Buy or Dick's, yuck. And I have no interest in a cheap beater that will cost me hundreds more in repairs in the following years (I do a lot of stop-n-go driving on-campus, maybe 1k highway driving miles a year), so I want something reliable that doesn't always need something fixed. Worse comes to worse I'd settle with a crappy new Hyundai since it has a decent warranty on it.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:02 AM

ride a bike!
Old 12-29-2005, 05:06 AM

screw it, I'm saying it play P*******ker
Old 12-29-2005, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
@ Umass-Amherst (I don't get enough shifts of the higher-paying building supervisor position at my work which is $9 an hour and a lot less boring then swiping cards at the Fitness Center). I do get .25 raise every semester. I refuse to work at any Fast food or corporate places like Best Buy or Dick's, yuck. And I have no interest in a cheap beater that will cost me hundreds more in repairs in the following years (I do a lot of stop-n-go driving on-campus, maybe 1k highway driving miles a year), so I want something reliable that doesn't always need something fixed. Worse comes to worse I'd settle with a crappy new Hyundai since it has a decent warranty on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is your attitude then not having a car is obviously not a very big deal to you. If it is, you need to seriously change how you look at this situation.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:29 AM

Having a functional car to get me from pt A to pt B without having a ton of repairs is important to me. But not so much as to utterly miserable at a job that will get me nowhere in the service industry making even less than $7 an hour. I worked at Six Flags before and know how it is to get screwed by these corporations, and all my friends that have done fast food or Best Buy hated their jobs with a passion.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:40 AM

Duh, 8 table 2/4! Seriously that sucks burda. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Hope you figure something out.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 AM

sell t-shirts during the first 2 weeks of each semester. Make $2k for your efforts. Go back to your $9/hr job after that.

I did this in '91 saturating Southwest with Coed-Naked Beer Pong tees. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]