Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-29-2005, 01:29 AM

Default online LO8 tournament \"strategy\"

Why are they raising and capping EVERYTHING? Why are four or five people going along with it? WTF?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: online LO8 tournament \"strategy\"

LOL - trying buying in above the $5 level.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:36 AM

They were doing it in the $10 tonight on Stars...
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 AM

They do it at the Orleans rebuy tournaments, too, and that's $40 buy-in.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:28 AM

Was i at your table lol. For me 2 things come in mind when i go nuts. First of all it's fun but really the main objective early in these lower limit tournaments for me is to build chips quickly or bust quickly. The 2 main hands I played resulted in the 2 players winning having tripled up and being in the top 5 out of the 300ish. Then you can be more selective while the hundreds of dead money players bust out. As for others betting like crazy, its probably a combination of entertainment, not knowing how to play, and not caring because its $10 bucks, thats me when i'm drunk
Old 12-29-2005, 12:45 PM

They do this in in the early stages of PL tourneys too, I have just come accept that the beginning of 08 tourneys are just crazy. Be patient, and hope you can get in there.

Oh yes, sometimes we're drunk too...lol
Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 PM

Yeah, I've only played 3 o8 tournaments (all $5 buyins), but I've noticed this too. However, playing solid will show great results. There were between 70-95 people in these tournaments and I managed a 1st, 5th, and 20 something. I wonder how much tougher the higher buyins are.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:41 PM

I suggest Pokerroom if you want action in small fields for PLO8 tournaments, I've made the final table from fields ranging of 50-150 around 15 out of 22 or so tournaments I've played in. First few rounds aren't uber-important, just important you get aggressive in the later stages, play solid hands, steal with position, and don't go into Hold'em mode if you're short-stacked and push naked JJ or crap like that.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:45 PM

I'm trying to play LO8 tourneys as practice for a B&M tourney I'm hitting in February.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: online LO8 tournament \"strategy\" (Orleans)

I just played in this last night, and I have to say that this is a great practice in patience.

I wanted some live, mechanical experience in LO8 tourneys for an upcoming trip to Tunica. I haven't played a live O8 event since Commerce, and that was pretty much a joke (structure), and a $1500 event which played almost exactly like a cash game.

When I play online, I tend to keep myself distracted by surfing around and not paying attention until the endgame. I needed to just feel it out again.

Anyway, while I hate the Orleans, and while I know the two events are not that similar (Orleans daily vs. WSOP/Jack Binion's Open), like I said, I wanted to feel the rhythm of an O8 event again.

I don't regret playing. I found some leaks.

Luckily I'd just completely run over the 4/8 Kill game beforehand, and had my buy-in plus rebuys and add-on. Very soft game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So I made it down to about 25. Made some errors, and learned some lessons.

Back to Zee and Ciaffone for me, as well as another run through of TPFAP before we head out to Tunica.