Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Curtains Hand #1

I think this one is kind of interesting.

Curtains raises a poor hand oop vs a 2+2er (if I remember right). What's his thinking here and what is he hoping to accomplish? Dicuss [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1325)
UTG+1 (t805)
MP1 (t880)
MP2 (t1320)
MP3 (t615)
CO (t970)
Button (t995)
Hero (t2125)
BB (t965)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises t70</font>, BB calls t55

Flop: (t170) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets t60</font>, Hero calls t60

Turn: (t290) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks

River: (t290) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200
Old 12-27-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Curtains Hand #1

he's playing poker
Old 12-27-2005, 11:12 AM

Why not lead out the flop if planning to call a flop and river bet? I understand controlling pot size is important, but he got one of the best possible flops for a blind steal gone bad.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 AM

A little discussion would be nice...
Old 12-27-2005, 11:24 AM

I can see the villian taking that line with a pp such as 9,9 or 10,10. Maybe a pp lower than 8.

More often than not I think my opponent is ahead, so I'd want to make them fold on the river. I also like betting/raising on the flop to find out the strength of their hand.

&gt;&gt;ZIP
Old 12-27-2005, 11:26 AM

as nyc said, what i dont understand is leaving complete agression to him, does he want to call down and show his 82 to the world? is that the image he wants? controling the pot oop is understandable, but calling that bet on the river is perplexing to me, id rather fire and hope he folds his pair
Old 12-27-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as nyc said, what i dont understand is leaving complete agression to him, does he want to call down and show his 82 to the world? is that the image he wants? controling the pot oop is understandable, but calling that bet on the river is perplexing to me, id rather fire and hope he folds his pair

[/ QUOTE ]

by calling, though, he doesn't show his hand unless he's ahead.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:28 AM

Raising this in the first place is something I'd only do if I were playing few tables only. That said, this is how I read it: with his stack he can afford to invest some chips. He is raising to steal the blinds and from the flop onwards he plays it according to his hand strength, exercising good pot control, crusing towards cheap showdown, while getting most in vs. worse hands (through inducing bluffs).

Betting this hand (TPWK) on the flop doesnt accomplish much with deepish stacks. If he misses he should bet most flops to try and take the pot right there.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Betting this hand (TPWK) on the flop doesnt accomplish much with deepish stacks. If he misses he should bet most flops to try and take the pot right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if he gets top pair betting doesn't do him much good, but if he completely misses then he should bet?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:33 AM

Thinking about this hand a little more, if the villain is a 2p2 and knows Curtains (and vice-versa), maybe he had some type of read that caused him to take this line.