Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Default How many tables is \"appropriate\" at 10/20 6 Max?? Metetron, others???

I recently posted on moving up from 5/10 to 10/20 and I am just having a hard time understanding what would be "appropriate"? I currently play 6 5/10 6 Max tables, however, with what was stated on my last post, I would really have to consider cutting back to 2-3 to play the 10/20 game well - in order to attain a similar (2.0 bb/100) winrate. The problem I see is that my income WOULD NOT CHANGE. Yes, I would not have to click the mouse as often while 6 tabling 5/10, but on the flip side I would have to deal with more aggressive/unpredictable play at the 10/20. In addition, I would have to deal with a greater variance in bankroll. With all of this said, it just seems that I would be better off sticking with 5/10 and when I feel ready to move up, think about going to 15/30 SH or even converting over to 8 x 20/40 Full Ring, etc.... to attain the increase in CASH/hr that I will be interested in. In fact, CASH/hr is the sole reason that I was considering the jump to 10/20 SH, however, with what I have been told, it just may not be all it seems cracked up to be?????

Thanks Again!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: How many tables is \"appropriate\" at 10/20 6 Max?? Metetron, other

I 4 table 5-10 and 2 table the 10-20

Some of the guys here 8-12 table the 20 but they're a hell of a lot better than me.

It seems like the 20 isn't nearly twice as hard as the 10, fwiw.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: How many tables is \"appropriate\" at 10/20 6 Max?? Metetron, others???

An alternative plan would be to move up to $10/20, playing three tables, and add further tables when you get the hang of it.

Guy.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: How many tables is \"appropriate\" at 10/20 6 Max?? Metetron, others???

I'm not really going to answer your question, but I talked to poster VKH over dinner and he mentioned a calculation he did:

For a 10/20 player making 2.5BB/100 and who experiences a .20 BB/100 reduction in winrate for each additional table beyond 1, the optimal number is 6. I think he took rakeback into account as well. Obviously these are some arbitrary assumptions. Also very very few players make over 2.5BB/100 as a true winrate in that game, meaning the optimal number would likely be lower. Maybe he'll reply in this thread.

FWIW I play 4-6 tables of 10/20 and am pretty happy with that amount. It is my opinion that the more tables you add, the slower you will improve. Therefore if you wish to optimize the money you earn over the long term you may wish to play fewer tables than you would if your goal were to maximize immediate earn.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:25 PM

One more thought!

I play approx. 50 hrs/wk, so what about keeping the 5/10 SH game as my "primary" game throughout the normal "business" hours and then back off from 6 tabling to just 2 10/20's during "peak" hours - including weekend evenings, etc... What have you all expereinced relative to "peak" or "prime" hours for table selection??
Old 12-03-2005, 05:29 PM

You play 50 hrs a week? Good god, why even play poker for a living at that point?

Half my reason for doing this is the fact I put it only 25 hours a week and can do less or skip a weak completely and not feel bad about it.

Anyways... try 10/20 with 3 tables, you may be able to do it.

Also someone else mentioned playing more tables will lower the rate at which you learn. This is true. By playing less tables now, you will become accustomed to the 10/20 game and can play more tables in the future, increasing your earn.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:38 PM

The correct answer is: "It all depends on you." If you can slam 3 cups of coffee and do 12 tables at your peak, you should do 12 tables (you'll die at the age of 34, but hey, you'll be rich!). For myself I just kept adding tables until I felt uncomfortable / not able to take enough time to evaluate decisions and then scaled it back one. I do believe you should cut tables when moving up in limits.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:57 PM

the games are more aggressive at 10/20 than 5/10. playing alot of tables means you need to be comfortable when confronted with alot of situations. you dont have time to sit in front of the computer and analyze a hand for 5 minutes. if youre prepared to handle aggression properly you could play alot of tables, but if you feel that when your playing you dont have enough time to think a situation through then you need to take some tables away. if when youre playing you feel you have ample time for your decisions then you should consider adding more tables.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:10 PM

i highly recommend you do drop down to 2-3 tables if you move up. i really struggled to make the move from 5/10 to 10/20 short myself, and i didn't start winning at the 10/20 until i cut back on the number of tables i was playing. you may not think it makes a big difference, or that you'll be able to handle 6 tables of 10/20 because you could handle it at 5/10, but trust me, it's a lot different.

maybe you'll make a bit less $/hr right now, but once you get the hang of the 10/20 you can add more tables later. and once you're really beating the 10/20, you can move up beyond that. planning on skipping 10/20 just seems unnecessary... it'll just be more difficult to move up to the higher limits later. and the $ swings will be even more intense.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:23 PM

several people that currently crush high sakes games have mentioned that they dropped down to 2 tables when moving up to 10/20.