Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-21-2005, 05:19 AM

Default Simple hand, is this a weak/tight fold? NL 200 6 max

Should I lead out?

Opponent has a VPIP of 39.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($476.09)
MP ($352.10)
CO ($40.80)
Button ($343.55)
Hero ($244.40)
BB ($388.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($8) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $4.5</font>, Button folds, Hero folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: $12.50
Old 11-21-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Simple hand, is this a weak/tight fold? NL 200 6 max

I think villain's ~half pot bet against three opponents is weak - if he had a made hand (TPTK, 2 pair, set) with possible flush and straightdraws out there - I assume he would've bet the pot to shut out the opposition. This leads me to believe he is on a draw himself.
By the time it comes back to you, I would raise to $16. Check-raise is a powerfull (semi)bluff.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:00 AM

Folding or calling and leading out the turn are what I would consider the best options. I think a checkraise just builds a nasty pot with a crappy holding, and you have to check it down from then on anyway.

Folding is fine btw, TPNK OOP isn't exactly the bread and butter of your winnings.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 AM

folding is pretty close to neutral EV .... to get the most out of bluffs/etc. however i sometimes like to check-call, lead turn

but folding isnt bad at all

i sometimes lead this flop too if the field is passive, but more often than not i check
Old 11-21-2005, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think villain's ~half pot bet against three opponents is weak - if he had a made hand (TPTK, 2 pair, set) with possible flush and straightdraws out there - I assume he would've bet the pot to shut out the opposition. This leads me to believe he is on a draw himself.
By the time it comes back to you, I would raise to $16. Check-raise is a powerfull (semi)bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY WELL SAID....

I hav also learned as the stakes rise, so should you aggression, if im gonna play a king make it seem like a AK, since he didnt raise preflop, he probably at best KT or KJ, but my guess is the weak bet is a J,
raising preflop, and betting the flop hard makes your hand alot stronger...i like going to the flop in command, and both probably would have folded if you raised, or called and folded to a pot sized on the flop, and given you a better idea what they were calling with.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

TPNK OOP isn't exactly the bread and butter of your winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it isn't - and that's not the reason I'm check-raising.

Villains half-pot bet on a draw heavy board against 3 opponents looks weak to me and I put him on a draw. With a check-raise, I think I represent a big enough hand to have Villain fold his draw.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:45 AM

That makes no sense. People on draws don't care about how good your hand is. If they hit their draw, they win, if they miss they lose.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
think villain's ~half pot bet against three opponents is weak - if he had a made hand (TPTK, 2 pair, set) with possible flush and straightdraws out there - I assume he would've bet the pot to shut out the opposition. This leads me to believe he is on a draw himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

oop, i think is better to do what the others said. if you check-call flop, then bet on turn(assuming safe card), he might lay down the draw. checkraising the flop can lead to all sorts of craziness. maybe he lays down a better hand(doubtful). perhaps, he will call with a worse hand(possible). however, you will never really know where you are at until its too late, due to position. worst case scenario for you is that he then comes back over the top with a good draw (fundamental mistake), forcing you to fold the best hand(even bigger fundamental mistake). btw, i just fold this and move on. but i like the check-call, lead turn line more now that i think about it. how much would you bet on the turn?