Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 06:36 AM

Default Metagame - any good?

Hi guyz,
do you consider it worth the effort to occasionally splash around big-time and really make some noise in order to mix up your image?

I'm talking about "shooting up" the tables by opening up with any connector or reasonable gappers, Kxs etc for one or two orbits. And perhaps to make a few bold reraises with crap. (I'm not talking about playing the player or reads here). And to play normal good poker after the flop.

And then revert back to normal TAG, hoping to get paid off by those who did take notice of my 75o UTG.

B&M - this is clearly correct to some extent. But online with multitablers who don't pay much attention and rarely see beyond their PT/GT stats?

When would this sort of play be in order?
And how is it best done to get maximum benefit?

Are there any useful criteria for cuing in a "Blitz"?

When is it totally useless?

At low limits with loose tables, opponents who do notice your presence won't even realize that you are "Blitzing". But at tables with weak-tight players, perhaps it might be worthwhile?

?
Grateful for input on this, and especially from those who do make these kinds of gear shifts and think it helps their overall winrate.

Cheers,
Jaxz [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Metagame - any good?

I think you've already answered your own question...

.. You probably won't get noticed unless you manage to throw away 3 buyins in 10 hands or something. What you gain then after switching to TAG won't compensate.

At this level, just play cards.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:04 AM

At these stakes, don't even bother. Trust me, I speak from experience.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 AM

Only way I can ever see this working if you are at a table of rocks, but then you should probably find another table instead of throwing chum in the water.

So I guess I would I would say just play your A game at all times. Save the finesse for B&M, where there is some EV to gained.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 AM

If you ask about making plays that you know in themself are -EV just to give you more action later on, don't. Every play you make should only be made if you believe it can be profitable in a vaccum. What you gain in image should primarily be seen as a bonus. If the table is really tight, go ahead and raise alot, but do it because you think it will fold out the field often enough.

The above is especially true in online SSNL.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every play you make should only be made if you believe it can be profitable in a vaccum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance this is slightly rigid thinking? Overall I agree but to this might be overstating the point.