Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If the flop is 5 handed or more?
About 25% 4 18.18%
About 50% 3 13.64%
Greater than 75% 6 27.27%
Less than 25% 9 40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2005, 05:43 PM

Default What do you think of 100xBB structure

Hello all,

Ive recenlty thought about 100xBB nolimit online games structure which is very deep in my opinion (I know I know, many good players consider it shallow). I think 50xBB or sth similair would be more interesting because with high blinds structure nut peddling is not very good strategy and there will be more action. What do you think ?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: What do you think of 100xBB structure

there is much more skill and complexity for deeper no limit games. the deeper the game goes the more interesting it gets.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:11 PM

Just putting in all your money, dealing the board out, and seeing who wins doesnt seem all that interesting to me.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:34 PM

The deeper the stacks, the more oppurtunities it is for skillful players to win more and outplay the opponents.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:37 PM

Have you even considered how the game plays with various stack sizes?

Is more action your only argument for a lower structure?
Have you thought about the downsides of this?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:27 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

its not deep. its all about risk/reward. everyone should have significant exposure to loss or it takes away alot of the NL strategy.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:39 AM

Thank you all for your answers. What made mi think about this was one post from mid-high stakes forum , where somebody states that there are winning players (at 1000NL level) who only plays for sets... my reaction was that it is not possible in lower blind structure. After some thought I now think that 100xBB is quite good choice.

Best wishes
Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you even considered how the game plays with various stack sizes?

Is more action your only argument for a lower structure?
Have you thought about the downsides of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

More action attracts more fish and LAGs and results in more rebuys on online fixed buyin tables and bigger stacks which THEN allows you to play more skillfully against other big stacks. Also the 50xbb structure punished overly tight play which is always good. Having said that, a good player should be able to properly adjust to any structure.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:18 AM

How would the 50x structure punish tight play? This structure is MUCH better for the tight players. Players that get involved in raised pots frequently without premium hands will lose their chips because they cannot get paid off enough to offset how much they are losing each time they miss. There is very little need for deception when you frequently get close to 10% of your stack in preflop. The player who has the better hand preflop in those situations is going to get the money, unless their postflop play is completely horrid.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:10 PM

In TOP, it states that the size of the antes, in this case the blinds, in relation to the bet sizes, determines how tight or loose you must play. Since in the 50xbb structure the typical opening raise or even just the bb itself, is in fact larger compared to the max buyin than in the 100xbb structure, then you should adjust by playing more hands than in the 100x structure, which weak-tights won't do. And although you are correct that loose players (those especially who play too loose postflop) won't have enough of a stack left to benefit when they hit, neither can they be punished to the full degree either by better players. If you search the archives before party implemented the 100xbb structure found on other sites, you will find a litany of complaints from weak-tights complaining that the 50xbb structure did not allow you to play "properly" and just degenerated into a lot of preflop and flop allins with luck determining a lot of the results. These types of complaints from these types of players should show, in addition to the reasoning from TOP, what I mean about the 50xbb structure punishing overly tight play, since it is the overly tight players doing the complaining. This is similar to the same types of players who complain about a 2/3 chip blind structure in 15-30 or 30-60 holdem, preferring to have a a 1/3 chip structure. This shows that weak-tight players are pre-occupied with the cost of doing business, i.e. the blinds, and are thus at a disadvantage when they don't properly adjust by playing more hands when the blinds/antes are larger in comparison to the max buyin.