Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Poker fad already fading?

So what?

You think playing poker is going to decline? By how much? I will lay you 20:1 that the #entrants in the 2006 WSOP will not be below the # in 2004.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what?

You think playing poker is going to decline? By how much? I will lay you 20:1 that the #entrants in the 2006 WSOP will not be below the # in 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

How bold, you don't think the number of entrants is going to decline over 50 percent from one year to the next. Wow.

--Zetack
Old 12-05-2005, 03:55 PM

Anyone who doesn't see the correlation between online player #'s and the popularity of televised poker is a [censored].
Old 12-05-2005, 04:10 PM

There are lots and lots of people who are learning the game via online and are a bit more confident to try the live games now too.
It sounds cliche when Raymer mentions it in his PokerStars TV ad. But I know this to be true.
I was one of those folks (who was told about online-poker and gave it a try). I was a card-counter at BJ and had walked past the poker-room about a zillion times....but knew that I didn't know how to play and that it wasn't +EV for me since I was ignorant...so I never tried it.

I've since met several people who like to play the play-money tables online but are a bit too intimidated to try the real-money yet. Obviously some of these people will....and of those people...some will try the live games too.

Basically....it is my assertion that online-poker makes it easier to learn how to play and is partly the reason for the B&M poker-boom.

I think it all feeds into each other and is kind of a chicken-egg argument almost.

Televised poker helps online-poker....but online-poker is also a help to B&M poker and vice-versa...and home-game poker is obviously bigger than ever partly due to BOTH televised-poker and online-poker...etc etc.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So what?

[/ QUOTE ]

How bold, you don't think the number of entrants is going to decline over 50 percent from one year to the next. Wow.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

nobody does. that's my friggin point.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
poker on <font color="red"> the internet </font> is <font color="red"> unplayable </font> , 90% of it is stupid ass all-in hands and most of them are suckouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp lol
Old 12-05-2005, 04:25 PM

people are dumbasses, they confuse "levelling off and not continuing to grow at an exponential pace" with "a fad dying out".
Old 12-05-2005, 04:47 PM

This fad has an addiction tied to it in gambling, and addictions RULE.....GO POOKERRRRRRR
Old 12-05-2005, 04:55 PM

"they confuse "levelling off and not continuing to grow at an exponential pace" with "a fad dying out". "

Yes...I think this is true.
Just because it's not explosive anymore doesn't mean it still isn't pretty popular.

Also consider that there are MANY young people who love the game, are following it on TV, and will be making decent incomes in the years to come (that they will be bringing to teh poker-tables...both online and live).
If it's a mostly grown-up thing that is also cool among the countries youth then it should continue to thrive imo.

That's what makes poker different than...say...magic-the-gathering, or pokemon, or day-trading on the internet.

Pokemon was mostly a 'kids' thing and died in popularity fairly quickly.
day-trading was more of an adult thing and didn't have the appeal to kids (plus....lots of people just got clobbered trying to do it).

Poker is cool among adults AND kids which is not a very common thing.

Walking with a couple people I know...one guy knows I play poker for a living...the other guy does not. The one friend who knows asks me about my recent slump 'at work' and I have to explain to the other guy that I play internet-poker full-time for income.
He's fascinated and acts like it's the freaking coolest thing he's ever heard in his life. He's asking me a zillion Q's about it and can't stop about how cool he thinks that is.
He's about 22 or 23 or so I'm guessing.

His feelings about poker (or about actually knowing someone who makes their income via online-poker) are not uncommon.

I don't think the fad is really 'dying' that much.
If anything, online-poker is more and more 'accepted' and less and less taboo...which is certainly a good thing.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I for one stopped watching wsop and wpt, because I'm playing poker instead. I think this is a market where they took a big hit. watching poker was fun when I didn't play it. Now I'd rather be online then checking out the main event.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my reason for not watching poker on TV anymore. The more you play the more you realized how heavily edited it is and how unlike "real" poker the shows are. "Real" meaning how boring 19 out of 20 hands can be. ESPN makes poker look like a run and gun basketball game. I am not convinced however that online poker is not just a fad.