Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Official High Boltage Thread (SD-Indy)

Some actual real strategy talk:

I thought the Chargers offensive gameplan was quite interesting. They started the game with a bunch of short throws. I think after their first to plays it was something like 13-14 passes to 6-7 runs. Most of the passes were ome and three stop drops. However, on any three step drop Brees was letting the ball go immediately. They seemed to accept that the Colts pass rush was too good.

The running game is where I thought things got really interesting. The chargers did not rush for a lot of yards, however there were a few times were LT had one LB to beat for a long gain. I am estimating that 50-65% of the Chargers runs were a variation of a draw. They had Brees faking the 1 and 3 step drop quick throws and then handing it off.

The Chargers brought in a brilliant game plan, both offensively and defensively. They acknowledged that their offensive line could not play a normal game against the colts D-line and their adjusments worked reasonably well. I'll be interested to see a team with a better offensive utilize some of the gameplanning that SD did today.

And for those blaming the loss on the Colts playing bad- BS. The Chargers physically whipped them in the first half. The Chargers get all the credit for dominating them. Saying the Colts just "played bad"- watch a whole football game, that's a complete joke.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Good Game Fellas!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(as opposed to the Colts whose schedule has been tough, and before you auto shout "NUH UH" to that, no one said it was the toughest, but it was tough).

[/ QUOTE ]

Colts had the sixth easiest schedule coming into this game. Why would you even say something so incredibly false as this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous, everyone in the NFL has a tough schedule, ask last years Pats how easy their schedule was after that embarassing loss to the Dolphins. The Colt's played good teams and bad teams like everyone else and the idea that they had that "sixth" best schedule is that part that's laughable. What magic stat (other then the all important record) tells you that, did you do a straw poll of teams and ask "about how hard did/are you going to play the Colts?"
Please, the NFL is the best pro sports league because of it's parity, some teams are better then others sure, but all teams have a chance, to call the Colts soft after beating the Pats, Steelers, Bengels, and Jags (but but players X was hurt, or it was in Indy, or well they didn't win by 50) is just silly.

Cody
Old 12-19-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And for those blaming the loss on the Colts playing bad- BS. The Chargers physically whipped them in the first half. The Chargers get all the credit for dominating them. Saying the Colts just "played bad"- watch a whole football game, that's a complete joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always said the Bolts played their best game causing the Colt to play their worst, so don't blame me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. In any case, I think the thinking you're talking about comes from the fact that people preceive the Colt's to be a better team (not just the Colts though, any time a game is like this). People assume, I would say correctly but that's up for debate also, that the Colts team is better in a vaccum then the Charger team. As a result people would say that any time the Bolts win a game against them that the Colts must have "allowed" it to happen. I think it was a case of the Colts comming out flat and the Bolts taking hold of that oppertunity to run them over early. Plus as you said their gameplan was incredable, I don't think it would work again, but that "small ball" approach worked like a charm.

Cody
Old 12-19-2005, 08:38 AM

Rich (or Cody),
The Colts ARE better in a vacuum, I don't think many people can disagree with this. I think your assesment is correct- the Chargers play forced the Colts bad play.

As for the Colts coming out flat, I'm not so sure. Their defense played quite well. They were flying to the ball and hitting extremely hard all game (knocking LT's helmet off at one point and a very big goal line stand to end the first half). Each offensive play the Chargers ran ended with 3-6 defenders around the ball. The Colts offense may have come out somewhat flat, but I think a lot of that had to do with the ratched up intensity of the Chargers and their gameplan (which I honestly can't say enough about. I dislike Marty quite a bit but kudos to the whole staff. I was suprised at how effective the delayed stunt blitzes were working on the Colts o-line).

Plus, who could have been ready for Merriman? He was absolutely bitching the o line.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was by far, the worst game the Colts played all year. They probably are not playing like that again, and they still can scorch a Patriots defense with weak corners. Also, the Patriots don't have Dillon 100%, and can't run the ball like the Chargers can, so the Colts strong D-line gets more pressure on Brady than they do on Brees.

The Patriots are much better than they were for most of the year, but they'll still have an exceptionally hard time beating the Colts @ IND, if they get there.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you remember who the Patriots corners were last year?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 AM

My name is Michael Turner & I live in a suburb of Indy. It was interesting (and funny) watching the game with friends and hearing my name being cursed when the game was put away on that 4th quarter TD run.

SD played a great game. No doubt about it. It will be interesting to see how the Colts play in the playoffs when the games really mean something again. Undefeated would have been cool, but there is no sense of panic here in Indy. In fact, I felt a lot more panic with each leg & ankle injury in yesterday’s game than with the score or the way SD was dominating the game.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:42 AM

Don Shula didn't try to hide his glee yesterday. I thought he was going to jump up, grab his crotch, and bust out a stanza of "You can't touch dis".
Old 12-19-2005, 01:05 PM

So I just saw the highlights of this game and this play has not been discussed at all:

WTF happened on the 4th and 1 on the goal line play where Peyton faked a handoff and then rolled out like a chicken with his head cut off? Was this play discussed in the post game press conference?

I place more blame on him for that as well.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I just saw the highlights of this game and this play has not been discussed at all:

WTF happened on the 4th and 1 on the goal line play where Peyton faked a handoff and then rolled out like a chicken with his head cut off? Was this play discussed in the post game press conference?

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly a busted play. Peyton was running play action, everyone else was running a run play.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly a busted play. Peyton was running play action, everyone else was running a run play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, but I want to know whose fault it was (or some sort of explanation)...