Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Official High Boltage Thread (SD-Indy)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sublime is so trolltastic

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 06:55 PM

These are professional athletes we are discussing here. I think you are stressing that "feeling of dread" a little too much. Perhaps the defense felt that way about themselves? I think people aren't giving the Chargers D enough credit...
Old 12-18-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Good Game Fellas!

Well that's is, the Colts lost and it will now be 3 weeks before anything meaningful happens to them. I'd just like to say "Good game and good try" to the boys in blue. After about week 10 they faced a near impossible task and performed admirably. Sadly they weren't able to achieve their goal and the season is now over.
True they are probably the favorites to win the Super Bowl, but it doesn't matter. No one remembers Super Bowl winners, everyone knows the '72 Dolphins. Good effort boys, good luck for next year.

I would also like to commend other Colt's fans on their attitudes. Of those I have seen they had a humility and generally pleasent attitude. I'm proud to be counted amoung you.

Lastly, to the fans that seem to root for only failure, you are the worst kind of sports fan. If the best you can manage is to root against a team trying to make history, you really need to grow up. If you're a chargers fan, enjoy a very well earned victory. If, however, you're happy simply because you don't like Peyton Manning or because your team lost and thankfully now, so has everyone else, then the sports world really needs less of you.

I wish I was a Chargers fan right now, they played a fantastic game and beat the best team in the NFL. No bad weather, no key injuries, just helmet to helmet, pad to pad victory. They played their best and caused the Colts to play their worst. Well played Bolts, hope the Colts can get a second crack in the playoffs.

Cody
Old 12-18-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Good Game Fellas!

[ QUOTE ]
No one remembers Super Bowl winners, everyone knows the '72 Dolphins.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok let's do a little test:

Who won SB XXII?
Who is the only team to go undeafeated in one season?

Which took longer to answer.

Edit: Hopefully you understand that there was a slight amount of exaggeration in my statement, ovbviously the Lombardi trophy is great but you're one of many, and your reign is a year long, being one of two perfect teams on the other hand.

Cody
Old 12-18-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who won SB XXII?

Edit: Hopefully you understand that there was a slight amount of exaggeration in my statement, ovbviously the Lombardi trophy is great but you're one of many, and your reign is a year long, being one of two perfect teams on the other hand.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

true football fans understand greatness. they know that the 85 Bears, and the 86 Giants, and probably the Steel Curtain Steelers and Walsh Niners and last years Patriots were better teams than the 72 Dolpins.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who won SB XXII?

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

true football fans understand greatness. they know that the 85 Bears, and the 86 Giants, and probably the Steel Curtain Steelers and Walsh Niners and last years Patriots were better teams than the 72 Dolpins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, if I didn't know better I'd swear that was an insult. Of course I realize that the 72 Fins weren't the best team of all time. Their schedule was soft as Charman (as opposed to the Colts whose schedule has been tough, and before you auto shout "NUH UH" to that, no one said it was the toughest, but it was tough). Of course the 85 Bears, recent Pats team, etc. are in the small class of teams that are "All-Galaxy", but it would've been nice for a team called "the greatest offence of all time" to have something they didn't.

Cody
Old 12-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Bowens,
I used that phrase (feeling of dread) because I lack a better description. It isn't "dread," but more of an annoying thought in the back of your head and in the pit of your stomach, "[censored], they're driving. [censored] they're driving. [censored], we're not stopping them." And as the offensive team's confidence grows and they move the ball, this feeling gets more prominent. Professional athletes (I can't say all, but in general) feel these swings of confidence and momentum. Football offers an interesting little wrinkle to this because of the constant play stoppage and startage- in the huddle (or if no huddle, while the plays are being communicated) one players confidence (or "dread") is easily displayed through posture, voice inflexion, and eye contact.

I present you the following example: '88 SuperBowl, 49ers-Bengals. Ask offensive players for a story and you get the following (summary): On the very last drive everyone was in the huddle. We were very nervous and talking. Montana walked into the huddle and joked about John Candy being in the stands. Everyon laughed, we were no longer nervous, and we knew we were going to field and win the game.

Meanwhile there was an interview with a Bengal who, after scoring their go-ahead TD, watched the 49er offense walk onto the field, looked up at the timeclock and immediately thought, "Oh [censored], we left them too much time."
Old 12-18-2005, 09:24 PM

the pats fans in this thread are hilarious. Indy is still the best team in the NFL.

P.S. I hope Brady and Belichick both get raped by angry, aggressive homosexual gorillas that are particularly well endowed and have HIV.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:36 PM

Indy is still the best team in the NFL

who said otherwise?