Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 11:02 PM

Default PokerRoom Weak/Tight (or just scared!!)

I've been having a terrible time at PokerRoom. Trying to clear a sign up bonus, games seem awfully tight, less than half the hands played at 2/4 qualify for the rake requirement. It's a little better at 3/6, but still seems pretty tight. Anyway, I'm down some, trying to keep my somewhat marginal game up. I tend to be tight/passive (weak/tight?). I am working on increasing my aggression, but at PokerRoom, I sure seem to be 2nd best a lot, then the games are so tight, that it is very hard to get back to the black side of the ledger.

Anyway, tonight, I seemed to be getting some cards and did OK. Now, my question is: Are these hands typical of a fish?

Hero is sb with Q,J offsuit
Reads: MP2 23/9; BB 18/7
PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: is with , .
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero folds, BB calls.

Hand #2

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)
Hero: BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP1: 23/9 UTG2: ? New to table, only 3 hands to this point, none VP$IP

Preflop: is with , .
<font color="#666666">UTG1 folds</font>, UTG2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333"> UTG2 bets</font>, MP1 raises, Button folds, Hero folds.

What if: Hand 2, it were only 1 bet to me on the flop?

Thanks for any help here. (I'd sure appreciate it if you could 'splain your reasoning, as well.)
Old 03-29-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: PokerRoom Weak/Tight (or just scared!!)

hand 1 - fine, although sometimes i lead out on a flop like this. you have 2 overcards and a gutshot (about 10 outs if they're all clean, against just 2 opponents you might take it down right there and if you get called or raised, you have outs)

hand 2 - pretty terrible call preflop. flop fold is fine.

btw, work on table selection.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 PM

these are ridiculously easy folds.

after the flop action it looks like your Q &amp; J outs are no good, and this pot is tiny.

on that second hand... why are you calling this preflop? since you are (and i'm sure it can be argued that it's a marginal decision, anyway), this is a ridiculously easy fold on the flop.

why you stressin'? did the T fall in hand 1 and it turned out no one had anything better than a J in hand 2?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:40 PM

Is the PF call really that bad? I pretty much always make this call, getting 7.5-1 and almost closing the action except for an EP limp. Unless any limpers are prone to frequent LRRs, I usually make this call PF w/any 2 suited. I remember reading in a thread by peter_rus that most call any 2 suited in this situation in a 4+ way pot.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:46 PM

I misread and thought there were only three... no, there's nothing wrong with this preflop call... but it's marginal
Old 03-30-2005, 12:18 PM

Actually, I would have won both pots, but I am REALLY trying to get away from "results" oriented thinking. (I'd have had the nut straight on one hand and jacks full on the other.)

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it all.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:46 PM

PokerRoom was my nemisis. I too am trying to clear out my bonus, but ran into a huge loss right off the bat at 2/4.

First, it's a much tighter game than Party. I was lucky to find games (there were maybe 10 to choose from) that were 20% VP$IP. Clearing the bonus will take awhile like you said as a lot of hands don't qualify for a rake, as they are too small and don't get to the river much.

I had to tighten up my game quite a bit there, but have had success. Recently, I've gone to the 1/2 short handed games there (5 max) and have had great success. Plus I'm clearing the bonus much quicker. Aggressive play pays at those tables. Again, the table selection is low, but you have more loose play there that pays off.