Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Firepay

I'm a long time Neteller user and just signed up for a Firepay account. When I verified my account they asked me about 3 questions. How the HELL did they know the answers to some of these?

For example one was...How old is (Insert My mom's name)?

another was...Where does (insert sisters name) own a house of currently live?

And I think another one was How old is my sister?

How the hell did know my mom and sisters names and where they lived? I almost didn't want to answer because I am so leery of scammers, but I did because it was firepay. Anyone know?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Firepay

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a long time Neteller user and just signed up for a Firepay account. When I verified my account they asked me about 3 questions. How the HELL did they know the answers to some of these?

For example one was...How old is (Insert My mom's name)?

another was...Where does (insert sisters name) own a house of currently live?

And I think another one was How old is my sister?

How the hell did know my mom and sisters names and where they lived? I almost didn't want to answer because I am so leery of scammers, but I did because it was firepay. Anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt they know any of the answers to those questions. Nearly impossible to pull from your social or credit record.

Probably just security questions for you to answer so if you have a problem you can verify the correct answers to show you are the true owner of the account.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:40 AM

Someone did something like this to me. It was a long time ago and I can't remember if it was FirePay, but it probably was. The questions were multiple choice and clearly they did know the answers because the correct answers were among the choices.

My understanding is that this is a third party service that verifies online identities for companies like FirePay. You'd have to be know me very well for a long time or passing the quiz would have been the research project from Hell.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:30 AM

They pull it from your credit report and from public records, such as your birth certificate, property tax information, etc.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:24 AM

It is actually pretty scary. There is a whole business built around gathering and selling this information, not the CIA [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img], to reputable businesses. A while back there was a report on NPR about a group that got ahold of it and abused the info.

Still, I was glad to see Firepay used it to verify who I was.