Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 10:11 PM

Default An Interesting Hand

I'm posting this hand, not because I played it particularly well, there was little for me to do other than click the raise button. I am posting it in this forum, rather than microlimit, because it might make a good hand reading exercise and contains a lesson about tilt. When I sat down and thought about the hand, especially knowing what the other players had, that I could have made some of the same mistakes they made.

Reads:The table was a rather loose table with a mix of aggressive and passive players. I hadn't been at the table long and was trying to squeeze in a few hands before the twins needed attention.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

<font color="purple">What do you put UTG+1 on when he raises?
What do you put MP2 on when she cold-calls 2 bets?
The BB and SB could play almost anything, any guesses?
When UTG+1 caps, how do you change your assessment of his cards? </font>

Flop: (20 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="purple">SB leads out, what do they have?
What do you put each of the other players on at the end of the betting, especially UTG+1 and MP2? </font>

Turn: (18 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

<font color="purple"> Does the betting change your assessment of their cards at the end of the turn? </font>

River: (30 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

<font color="purple"> The river is uneventful. </font>

Final Pot: 36 BB
<font color="#FFFFFF">UTG+1 has Ah As (two pair, aces and fives).
MP2 has 4d 4h (full house, fours full of fives).
Hero has Jd Jh (full house, jacks full of fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 36 BB. </font>
What I think is interesting is how the other players chose to play their cards. The results are in white above so look at them and determine, what were the other players thinking and are you guilty of the same types of thought processes? I know that I certainly am. What decisions would have been better?

On Tilt: There was something else interesting about this hand, that had nothing to do with how it was played and that is the tilt factor. I played the hand with one fussy baby in my lap. I noticed that as the hand played out, my frustration made me more "emotional" about the hand. I played it well but didn't have the control I usually have. When the hand was over, I managed to play two more hands before stopping. Why? I think winning the hand put me on tilt. I was probably more likely to play poorly, so I stopped. In the Psychology of Poker tilt is defined as any emotional state which impacts your play. I was officially on tilt. I wonder if I lost more hands when I had good runs of cards becuase I overplayed weak hands or got involved with marginal cards because I felt good?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: An Interesting Hand

Ok, I'll bite without reading the results.

PREFLOP:
What's UTG range? If he's a loose donk, I'd say A-X, K-X, any pair. If he's a bit tight, AA-TT, AK-AQ, maybe AJ.
What's MP2 on? AQ-A9, JJ-88 maybe 77.
BB &amp; SB: A or K high, small pair, maybe suited connectors.

FLOP:
SB: suited connector KQc or 89c, possible just two clubs, or a straight draw.
UTG: A-x or pair. If he's got a pair higher than JJ he ought to raise, otherwise he's an idiot.
MP2: Set 10's or 4's. discount straight or flush draw, but possible.

TURN:
Yes, I reassess.
SB definately thinking he's on a draw. UTG? WTF? he could have a set of 5's but now I'm thinking he's possibly a donk with 2 pair. MP2 I'm still thinking he has a smaller set.

RIVER:
Only thing beats me is quad 5's, and nobody's betting like they have it. UTG has 2 pair, MP2 has smaller full house.

Edit: Ok I've read the whited out text. Personally, I'd leave that part off in future posts.