Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2003, 09:10 PM

Default All-time worst hand award candidate?

Local 4-8. I raise UTG with black AA. 1 early caller, MP (decent player) reraises, 1 LP and BB (terrible player) call. I just call (at the time thinking I wouldn't knock anyone out by capping and would disguise my hand a bit). EP calls.

5 see the flop... KQ6 with 2 clubs.
BB checks, I bet, EP folds, MP raises, LP folds, BB calls, and like a complete pussy I just call (afraid of MP's KK, QQ or KQ).

3 see the turn... 5 club.
BB checks, I like my nut flush draw and in a masterfully weak move just check it with the intent to call MP's bet. MP *surprise* just checks. At this point if I was thinking about the hand at all I would have put MP on QJs or a medium pair and BB on a medium pair.

River is a non-club K.
BB wakes up and bets out. I figure he's got a King and fold. MP calls.

I'm not sure where my head was the entire session, but I'm almost positive on this hand it was in the vicinity of my colon.

So do I win the award?
Old 05-29-2003, 10:17 PM

Default Re: All-time worst hand award candidate?

I've seen significantly worse, but these hands come from players who probably lose 3-4BB/hour.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:56 AM

Nah dirty, not the worst hand ever. But a learning experience none the less [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

baseball38 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 07:21 AM

Well you realize you played it wrong and that is a big part of the battle.

Now just to get the most out of this "accident", post what you did wrong, why it was wrong, and how you should have played it!

Then let the people on this forum let you know where your thinking is right and wrong.

(sometimes I know I played it wrong but for the wrong reasons or I have the wrong "proper play")

-Scott
Old 05-30-2003, 09:58 AM

Worst hand? Far from it. Weak/passive play? Yes.

PF - cap it. Nobody's folding here, so no reason to disguise your monster. By capping PF and betting out on the flop, it may have been easier to put your opponents on hand. If just called, then you may be ahead to AK, AQ, etc, although tricky opponents with KK, QQ or KQ may wait for the turn to zap you. If raised, you may reassess the situation but still have to call. Turn can be a bet/call or check/call depending on the flop action. River can touchy, again, depending on previous actions.

Hope this helps.

I noticed that this is your first post. Welcome to the forum [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 09:59 AM

MP had QJs, BB had T6.

Had I been playing the hand instead of just sitting at the table with a couple of cards in front of me...

Preflop - Capping gets another 4 small bets in there but I don't think it necessarily puts me back in the driver's seat. The table is a bit passive and the cap would more than likely draw a few peoples' attention and I wouldn't get much action if an ace flops without a draw on board.
Capping with best hand and callers is good, but my flat call of the reraise was acceptable and could gain me something later in the hand.

Flop - I've got an overpair with backdoor flush potential.
Two big cards, flush draw and straight draw. With MP's reraise and 2 people calling 3 bets cold people have to like the flop. I could go for the check-raise but I'd like to thin the field and that may not do it. I'll lead out, counting on a raise from either the preflop raiser or someone else that hit. When it gets back to me with the MP raise and the BB cold-calling I should pop it to find out if MP flopped a set and charge them both if they're drawing.

Turn - Flush card comes but I have a redraw to the nuts. I should bet it and see if I can take the pot. If it's raised then I'm definitely behind and I can call and see if the river brings my club. If there's callers then I could still be ahead.

River - Not what I wanted to see. With the turn checked around, I should be able to put MP on a hand that I beat. BB has been check-calling the whole way so the only thing I can imagine for him is a small pair. I thought his river bet meant a king, but he would have bet the flop with top pair. He could have 66 and was going for a checkraise on the turn. He could also have crap and is betting to try to take a pot from two people who showed weakness on the turn. I may or may not be behind the BB and I'm pretty sure I beat MP. No way I should fold. If I'm ahead, a raise would knock out MP and possibly cause BB to fold. If I'm behind, a raise would knock out MP and get a reraise from BB. I should just call the bet and hope MP stays.