Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Default starting standards when playing behind an aggressive player?

Last night, I played $0.50/1 limit and was behind a really aggressive player. He would raise any ace, any pair, suited Kings and connected face cards. I am new to the game and generally follow the advice to respect raises and tighten your starting requirements when the pot is raised to you but this premise is based on the idea that your opponent has indicated he has a strong hand.

When observation tells you his raise indicates he probably has a low pair or Ace-rag what is the best way to handle this? Lower your calling standards, respect the raise and play 10-15% of your hands, find another table, something else?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: starting standards when playing behind an aggressive player?

I haven't been playing too long myself, but if it were me, I would lower my calling/raising standards against this particular person some, depending on my relative position to him, of course.

If I'm directly behind him, I'd probably call with hands that I would fold behind most other players. If I'm 5 seats over and someone else calls/raises, then I'd probably play a little more conservatively.

I don't think there's any -perfect- formula. The rules and standards the great players have must be modified from time to time to fit particular situations, I would think.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He would raise any ace, any pair, suited Kings and connected face cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Move to another table when playing against somebody who shows suited kings.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:38 PM

well I guess I should have worded that Kxs rather than suited Kings; so at this point I don't know if you have so little to do with your time that you feel amused at pointing out poor grammar or if you actually provided some helpful advice.

If you intended this as helpful advice could please elaborate.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:21 PM

I am not sure that I would call with hands that normally I would fold, so I guess I wouldn't lower my starting hand requirements. I would probably ignore his raises for the most part and reraise with hands like 77,66, etc. especially if most of the others have folded. If he bets out a lot even when he missed the flop, I might go for check raises more frequently.

I played at a table that for the most part was pretty tight and a mix of passive/aggressive. The player to my right was LAG and would raise with A4s, Q6s, or reraise A6o. Sometimes he connected and but usually he didn't.

I wasn't getting good cards most of the time but when I did, I really pumped them and was aggressive with them. When I felt my hand was good, even when overcards were on the board, I was comfortable playing against him.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:33 PM

just a little joke...I wasn't trying to point out anything about your grammar. Sorry for injecting a little humor.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well I guess I should have worded that Kxs rather than suited Kings;

[/ QUOTE ]

Humor duly noted, but FWIW "suited kings" is a perfectly standard way to express Kxs.

Do you think your three-bet is likely to chase out everyone behind you and isolate the loose raiser, or not? In many loose low-limit games, the rest of the table will see your three-bet as an excuse for more action and someone will merrily cap it from middle position.

If you think you can isolate, three-bet with pairs 88 and up, AK and AQ. But then if a tight player caps/four-bets behind you, you know you're potentially in trouble so be ready to release if the flop misses you.

If it's just a maniacal low-limit free-for-all, call with strong drawing hands: suited aces, suited connectors, any pairs (except still reraise with AK and JJ or better). You're hoping to see the flop for two bets and flop a monster or a draw to a monster which will drag a huge pot.

I'm somewhat guessing based on the underlying theory so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. If you want to read the opinion of someone much more knowledgeable, HEPFAP talks about "loose raisers" in its preflop section -- but keep in mind that today's standard micro-limit online game was a rarity in those days.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 AM

When you decide to play a hand - reraise the LAG.
You want to get heads-up with him because you have the better hand most of the time preflop.
That is, unless you have a hand that plays well in a multiway-pot (suited connecters). Then you only call, and hope for limpers.
If you can isolate him by re-raising, then you re-raise with any cards that is better than his. If he raises with Kx suited, you re-raise with Ax suited.... If you don't hit the flop, close your eyes and call him down anyway.
If the other players at the table find out what you are doing and start entering the raised pots, then you'll have to tighten up.

good luck
Old 11-14-2005, 12:59 PM

To all who have posted,

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. This type of player gives me more trouble than any other. I usually win money when I play against this type but I fold so many hands I would limp with or even raise with in an unraised pot that it gets frustrating.

To AKQJ10,

I do not know what HEPFAP is could you give me more information.

To Ottsville,

My apologies for a rather rude reply on my part. I usually have a good sense of humor and think I would probably do more than find another table if an opponent flipped over "suited kings". I read a post earlier this week where I thought the OP asked a good question but his post got hijacked by someone commenting on his avatar. This question was important to me and I really didn't want attention to be diverted from the central question. In hindsight, I know that the easiest way to divert attention is to make rude comments directed at someone else. Again, my apologies. I have no reason to be too sensitive to criticism, I've read some advice I gave here just 2 months ago that makes me think a) I am a moron who shouldn't give advice and b) I can't believe I have progressed that much in my thought process in just 2 months. This forum is great!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:14 PM

HEPFAP is Hold Em Poker For Advanced Players. Usually when you're faced with a raise you should either reraise or fold. You should hardly ever cold call a raise. I'm not 100% sure this guy is truly a maniac because he could be correct to be raising these types of hands if he's in proper position or game conditions. If he is a maniac, however, then reraise him as AKQJT98765432 said. Even if he's not a maniac you should still tend to reraise or fold, just not with quite as many hands.