Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 08:47 PM

Default does this mean I might yet turn into a lag?

I was just at a table on button, when mp raised and co 3-bet, and I came very close to capping with 53s. Came to my senses just in time.

Does this mean that I have an inner LAG, now fighting his way to the surface?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: does this mean I might yet turn into a lag?

lol

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean that I have an inner LAG, now fighting his way to the surface?

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds more like an inner maniac finding his way to the atm [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 09:01 PM

I wouldn't be obsessed about becoming a lag. Many great players have had varying degrees of tightness; Tommy Angelo plays rather exceptionally tight shorthanded and has records showing him to be dummying the high limit games for years.

As you progress and gain experience your playing style will no doubt evolve. I never consciously made an effort to play this hand or that hand; I just developed my own style over months and months of shorthanded play, tinkering around with adding different hands in different spots. I don't use pokertracker very often (like once a month I'll import my hands for that month mostly for record-keeping)... over the summer I finally checked out my VPIP and PFR and to my surprise it was 30/20 right on, which is apparently what a lot of people here recommend. Now I'm absolutely sure I'm looser in certain spots than other 30/20s and tighter in other spots, so it's not as if I stumbled upon the exact same combo of hands as them. But the point is, I just evolved my own style that ended up feeling good. I tried raising Ax off from UTG and UTG+1 for a looong time. I have tried 3-betting tiny pairs as well as coldcalling and tossing them. I tried a ton of stuff, and now what I play up front feels comfortable to me. So just feel out different hands. Try em out for a good stretch of hands and if some don't feel like they're working- dump em. It's that simple. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:05 PM

I so do have an inner lag who likes to try and run lines against other players and push them off hands all the time. It's not the most +EV but it does feel good to make other players fold a winner every now and then. (The laggish devil on my right shoulder speakin here)

On the other hand I cannot call myself tiltless at ALL therefor running lines should have a reason and not just be made by random impulses like he didn't hit that A (the angel on my left shoulder takes over and the war in my head begins)
Old 11-22-2005, 09:23 PM

I must confess that I've often longed to achieve lag-dom, just because it sounds like fun (and so far away from the real me). But I don't truly go out of my to make LAG plays.

On the other hand, I'm sincere when I made the OP and said the thought actually occurred to me. Though it might have been silly with that particular hand, I am occasionally having these types of thoughts pop into my head. If I'm being real charitable to myself, I think it means that I might be intuiting some kind of laggy +ev play.

More likely, I'm probably just getting a bit poker-drunk.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:25 PM

Read this if you haven't.

Dan N on "nutbar"
Old 11-22-2005, 09:27 PM

sounds like youre prone to tilt not prone to becoming a solid lag
Old 11-22-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like youre prone to tilt not prone to becoming a solid lag

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what they say: there's a thin line between good/evil, love/hate and tilt-prone/solid lag.