Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Live - Do You Let This Go Facing Flop Raise?

[ QUOTE ]
3 bet the flop? This just seems like spewing chips against a solid-aggro post-flop player, as described in OP. His flop raise to me sounds like TPTK or two pair. I don't think he'll raise a set here with the blind still to act.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you give a specific range of hands you think he has that
- is ahead of you
- was worth playing PF
- wasn't worth raising PF?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live - $2-$5 Spread Limit.

Villian hasn't done anything too suspicious yet. Seems pretty solid post-flop, but definitely not aggressive pre-flop...calls only one raise with KK, I've seen him limp with QQ....

Hero is in late position with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Everyone folds to Hero, who calls $2 blind, villain is button and limps, single blind of $2 checks option.

Flop:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Blind checks, Hero bets $5, Villain raises to $10, blind folds,

Hero............

Do you let this go right here, or call $5 and hope to peel a Q or J on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you open-raising preflop? Bad play.

Why are you betting $5 into a $6 pot when this board is so ragged and your opponents likely have 1 out (runner-runner), 3 outs (single overcard or Q+worse kicker) or possibly 5 outs (6x or 3x)?

Button didn't raise preflop, so if he has a Q, it's probably smaller than yours. Your "huge" flop bet (relative to the pot) may look like a complete steal, or semibluff (with a 6 or mid PP), so he may raise with his bad Q or mid PP. 3-bet and lead the turn.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:54 PM

I think the fact that you feel you have to lay your hand down to this player's flop raise makes it clear why you need to be raising preflop in this situation. If he's a rock as you suggest, then he would most certainly be folding JQ, likely be folding KQ, and possibly even folding AQ to your raise.

So if you had raised preflop and he cold-called or 3-bet then you could feel good about letting this go on the flop.

As it is you put yourself in the situation where you are OOP with a good but not terrific hand and you are unsure.

Given that you chose to bet the maximum and you are being raised, I think your decision to let this one go is not bad. There are many ways you could be dominated and it will be costly (relative to the current pot size) to get to showdown. Facing a full BB, you don't have the odds to peel and only continue if you improve.

I think it's very read-dependent and you will be ahead of many loose SS opponents here, but given your read and the preflop action your fold is the right thing. If a solid player is willing to put 2BB into a 2BB pot then he likes his hand and will take you to showdown.

This is a clear example of why you need to either Raise it or Muck it preflop opening from LP.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and you're considering not peeling?

booooooo....

[/ QUOTE ]

How can he peel when it's a full BB on the flop into a 3BB pot with only ~ 6.5 outs to improve HU OOP?

Peeling IMHO commits to paying 3 BB to get to showdown for a 5 BB win and just cannot be +EV. OP needs to decide whether he's ahead or not and [censored] or get off the pot. Fold or re-raise.

Peeling and NOT taking it to showdown just sets up OP to get abused later on once he gets the reputation for giving away free BB's on the flop. If it's only 1/2 BB to peel that's a completely different story.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:09 PM

raise preflop next time or else PokerBob will abduct your pets. do not fold to the flop raise or PokerBob will eat your pets.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:19 PM

(a) he can peel by calling the raise.

(b) your humble opinion is crap if you think calling the raise means you're committed to paying off on two more streets.

(c) he could very well be ahead

(d) really, it almost doesn't matter, because he should never have been in this spot in the first place (he should have raised preflop)

(e) folding to this flop raise sets the OP up to be abused far more than calling here and folding on a later street, depending on what falls, and what the action is

edited to add: (f) but raising might be better, making me something of a fool.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:03 PM

I call and led out at the turn. If villian raise turn bet, I'm out. If he calls, I check/call the river. Villian has a swath of hands you could beat. Remember, he didn't raise preflop, which he probably would have done with KQ or AQ. The problem hands for you are if the villian holds either of the two small sets.
Still, he'll have QJ, QT, Q9, Q8s, 54, 88 and 77 enough were I don't want to give up on the pot.