Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Default So I need to accept this job offer this week....

And I really don't know what to do.

I had it all figured out, I wasn't going to accept it and take a year off to play poker and travel. Until I told my parents over thanksgiving break. They pretty much thought it was a huge mistake.

The months before, I had been giving it a good deal of thought and came to the conclusion that taking a year off would be a great chance to capitalize on poker and enjoy life before entering the real world. I know I could make more playing poker, but that's not the issue. I know I wouldn't be as happy, in the short run anyway, working this job as I would if I were to take a year off. I know I don't want to play poker forever, but a year of the lifestyle would be great. The job in question is at a public accounting firm, and is a good offer. I worked there this summer and it was ok.

My parents believe that it would be a bad move based mostly on the idea that I may not be able to get as good of a job after a year of sitting on the shelf. My dad thinks it's a waste of time to "sit around clicking a mouse playing some game" as opposed to sitting aroud clicking a mouse to audit some company's financial statements that don't matter to me. I respect my parents opinion, and they have been right about most things in the past. Thus, my doubt.

I'm looking for whatever advice you've got to offer. I'm really stumped on this one. Also, you're not allowed to say "Do whatever you think is right." because I don't know.

Thanks.

Craig