Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 06:47 AM

Default House of Blues AC = worst poker room ever?

So I went to AC last night for a 2/4 donkfest. Me and a buddy hit caesers, ballys, and then house of blues. Now this is where it gets interesting. Second hand at the table I have pocket tens in the BB. There is a raise pre-flop flop comes Q high I bet, gets raised and re raised. So I fold. Gets to the river there is a bet a call the re-raisers shows a pair of 5's or some wacked hand the other raiser says nice hand and folds. So I ask to see the original raisers cards because now I am all sorts of confused and the dealer says no, only the players who call the river can see the losing hand. I drop it right there. Then I look in their poker guide and it says that the only players who can request to see a losing hand with called action on the river are players who are dealt cards in the hand. So now I am really pissed and I take it to the floor away from the table and the floor tells me that the rules are WRONG, and that only people who called the river can request to see losing hands. So whatever then a little while later comes another whacked out situation. The small blind gets up without posting, so the button gets moved to the SB, who post, then TWO BB's get posted. Which is weird, but the best part is the SB/button is first to act??? By this point I was totally fed up and just left up a small amount. Anyway my main point is what the hell is up with the house of blues??? Only thing I know is I will not go back. As an aside I have been awake for 24hrs so if this post is sloppy and full of grammar and spelling errors I don't care.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: House of Blues AC = worst poker room ever?

I HATED the HOB poker room when I visited it in July.. The worst poker room I've ever been in my life.

I'm stunned, that there's actually cretins on this forum who enjoyed that dump.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it, very comfortable, nice atmosphere (quiet), tho I did have to teach the dealers a couple of rules
Old 08-28-2005, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your inability to state your opinion without ad hominem insults isn't exactly something to be proud of, pal.

I enjoyed it, but it's clearly a new room with a bunch of dealers who are learning the rules. The good side of that is, most of the players have no clue either. In 6 months it should be fine, and the games won't be much tougher.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your inability to state your opinion without ad hominem insults isn't exactly something to be proud of, pal.

I enjoyed it, but it's clearly a new room with a bunch of dealers who are learning the rules. The good side of that is, most of the players have no clue either. In 6 months it should be fine, and the games won't be much tougher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played there 4 days last week for the first time. Yeah, the dealers are terrible and that forward moving dealer button was causing all sorts of confusion. But the absolute worst players I have ever encountered are also in that room. I won't play anywhere else until that changes.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:00 PM

I think you got it wrong somewhere.

Fundamentally a player is entitled to give up his/her claim to the pot at any point and fold his/her hand unseen.

The purpose of a rule that allows other players to see a mucked hand is solely to prevent collusion. This has been discussed ad nauseam on this board, in CP magazine etc. (do a search if you don't believe me).

I don't read from your post that you suspected cheating going on. You were just outplayed by two aggressive goofs, and now you wanted information you did not pay for and were not entitled to.

You're right so far that it makes no sense that only the players involved in the show-down can request to see the mucked hand. Anybody active at the table who suspects collusion should be allowed to voice their concern and the hands be revealed (I would prefer this could only happen with the floors intervention - after all, accusing somebody of cheating is a very serious action, and should be dealt with in the most serious manner).

I just don't see that was the case you described.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 08-28-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you got it wrong somewhere.

Fundamentally a player is entitled to give up his/her claim to the pot at any point and fold his/her hand unseen.

The purpose of a rule that allows other players to see a mucked hand is solely to prevent collusion. This has been discussed ad nauseam on this board, in CP magazine etc. (do a search if you don't believe me).

I don't read from your post that you suspected cheating going on. You were just outplayed by two aggressive goofs, and now you wanted information you did not pay for and were not entitled to.

You're right so far that it makes no sense that only the players involved in the show-down can request to see the mucked hand. Anybody active at the table who suspects collusion should be allowed to voice their concern and the hands be revealed (I would prefer this could only happen with the floors intervention - after all, accusing somebody of cheating is a very serious action, and should be dealt with in the most serious manner).

I just don't see that was the case you described.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's clear the OP suspected collusion in the hand.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:24 PM

Clear to you, maybe ... I just don't see the words "collusion", "cheating" or "suspicion" anywhere in the post - just "confusion", and in my vocabulary that's something quite different. Maybe the OP can clarify?

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 08-28-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I ask to see the original raisers cards because now I am all sorts of confused and the dealer says no, only the players who call the river can see the losing hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking to see cards is one of the worse things you can do as a player.
As McMelchior mentioned below, it has been frequently discussed on these forums (perhaps serch on IWTSTH and look at the older archive server).

Might as well post a link to Tommy Angelo's Article on IWTSTH from his web site.

[ QUOTE ]
Then I look in their poker guide and it says that the only players who can request to see a losing hand with called action on the river are players who are dealt cards in the hand. So now I am really pissed and I take it to the floor away from the table and the floor tells me that the rules are WRONG, and that only people who called the river can request to see losing hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like HOB is moving in the right direction by resticting the "right" to see others hands. Note that it's common to have published rules (generally re-published every few years) modified and noted in the floormen's daily log.

[ QUOTE ]
So whatever then a little while later comes another whacked out situation. The small blind gets up without posting, so the button gets moved to the SB, who post, then TWO BB's get posted. Which is weird, but the best part is the SB/button is first to act???

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the HOB is using the method used in Los Angeles ring games. Two blinds are always posted clockwise from (to the right of) the button, and players must take all blinds every round. This sort of thing causes some confusion when other nearby cardrooms do it diferently (i.e., dead button style), but innovation and improvements comes from doing things differently. That said, I don't have a strong opinion regarding which method is better.

~ Rick
Old 08-28-2005, 02:33 PM

First of thanks everybody for your responses. I will say that I did not suspect collusion I was just curios, and as far as being outplayed well in my experience at 2/4 live you better have at least top pair at showdown because the nuts are always out there somewhere, so I don't consider my fold horrible. Also the other mistake was, I didn't asked to see the cards a friend who was with me did. I personally don't care I just thought it was interesting that HOB has a rules pamphlet, and then they don't go by the rules in the guide. All in all though I really just don't like their cardroom and really any 2/4 game is a soft game so there is no reason to play there.