Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 PM

Default does clutch exist?

after ortizzle's performance last season, and pujols's this year, one would have to think that clutch DOES exist.

also, a-rod ALWAYS does crap when the games on the line, but pads his stats in blowouts.

Just throwing it out there.

Can anyone find any statistical analysis on this??

ZZzzZZzzZZzz
Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: does clutch exist?

Probably not. I could buy "choking" much more easily.

There's been plenty of studies, but I'm too lazy to look anything up. Try Google.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:51 PM

The strongest example of clutch I can think of is Tiger.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:48 AM

Is that clutch or just greater ability than the others? Nicklaus had the same "clutchness" too. He never missed a crucial putt when he needed it. But he was simply a great putter. He was just so great at everything else that people didn't recognize him as a great putter. They said Watson or Crenshaw were great putters (which they were) because their putting made up for other parts of their game that was not as good as their putting.

Same with Tiger I think. People say Faxon is a great putter (which he is) but not Tiger. Because Tiger is great at everything.

Still, there are probably players who had great ability but didn't get the most out of it because they couldn't peform in pressure situations. You can see it in Tiger's face down the stretch. Driven.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:57 PM

do you even know arods postseason stats?

personally i think the whole "clutch" argument is stupid, everyone knows why its bullshit to say "oh hes clutch" about 2 games but i do believe there are people who choke in big spots. in fact i know that in big spots some players arent equipped to deal with it and will perform badly. but saying some player is really clutch is stupid. do you seeee whyyyy
Old 10-19-2005, 12:00 AM

If some people can choke in big spots, others can excel in big spots. I don't think you can have it both ways.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If some people can choke in big spots, others can excel in big spots. I don't think you can have it both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't temporarily improve your power, your eyesight or whatever in certain situations, can you? Unless your not trying hard the rest of the time.

But I could see how someone could try too much or just [censored] their pants in general important at bats.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't temporarily improve your power, your eyesight or whatever in certain situations, can you? Unless your not trying hard the rest of the time.

But I could see how someone could try too much or just [censored] their pants in general important at bats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you definitely can focus more in key situations. Do you think Chris Carpenter was as focused in his last 3-4 regular season starts when nothing mattered as he was the rest of the year, or in the playoffs?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you definitely can focus more in key situations. Do you think Chris Carpenter was as focused in his last 3-4 regular season starts when nothing mattered as he was the rest of the year, or in the playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more just not performing to his full capabilities when he doesn't need to. Clutch really isn't about 'trying harder'.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but wouldn't that be because he wasn't giving it his all and didn't really give a crap in his last few starts rather than he was being "clutch"?

No doubt he was more focused but I don't see how focused = clutch. Esp. if you're talking for an entire season.