Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Flopping Sets Dry Spells

I had a terrible run of cards with my pocket pairs earlier today during a 3 hour session (running 4 tables). I counted in PT around 40 pocket pairs that didn't hit sets on the flop. Not one during the entire session...I hit one or two or the flop or river and I had some high PP's hold up, so all was not lost.

I'm wondering how long some of you guys have gone w/o flopping sets. I haven't really been playing long enough to know how long those dry spells can go.

Anyway, I figured I'd have a nice run of sets in the near future and low and behold I sat down tonight and hit on my first 3 pocket pairs, one time flopping quads when I had 10-10 and the flop came 10-10-5. The other guy had 5-5 and we capped on each street earning me a nice sized pot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Flopping Sets Dry Spells

One common misconception about probability and statistics is that after a losing streak players think that they are "due" for a winning streak... whereas you are as equally likely to go on a losing streak as a winning streak (assuming you play perfectly 'average' poker).
Old 06-24-2005, 10:03 PM

I don't think I had any misconception at all. I was a math minor and took my share of stats courses, so I have a pretty solid understand of stats. In the long run in poker things always even out to their statistical probability. If you're right under 12% to flop a set or quads, then 0 out of 50 is an obvious lag and will have to be made up at some point.

The point of the post was to see how long others have gone without flopping a set not to discuss statistics.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I had any misconception at all. I was a math minor and took my share of stats courses, so I have a pretty solid understand of stats. In the long run in poker things always even out to their statistical probability. If you're right under 12% to flop a set or quads, then 0 out of 50 is an obvious lag and will have to be made up at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two bolded statements contradict one another.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The point of the post was to see how long others have gone without flopping a set not to discuss statistics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you were a statistics major? It is not guaranteed to make it up at some point, it will only regress to the mean. Your odds of flopping a set won't magically become 2-7.5 rather than 1-7.5 because you've gone 15 pocket pairs without hitting. You're just as likely to have a hot streak as a cold streak, but they are completely independant. You are just as likely to hit normally for a run and then run cold as you are to run hot.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:11 PM

Over the long run you will even out to around 12%...how am I misguided in that thinking?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Over the long run you will even out to around 12%...how am I misguided in that thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

The long run is very far away.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure you were a statistics major? It is not guaranteed to make it up at some point, it will only regress to the mean. Your odds of flopping a set won't magically become 2-7.5 rather than 1-7.5 because you've gone 15 pocket pairs without hitting. You're just as likely to have a hot streak as a cold streak, but they are completely independant. You are just as likely to hit normally for a run and then run cold as you are to run hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're obviously not understanding what I meant. And for the record I was a math minor, not a stats major. Quite frankly, you guys are missing the basic understanding of mathmatical probability. If may take 50 hands or 500,000,000 hands, but you will end up at the statistical probability in the long run (no matter how far away that is). I will gladly set up a computer simulation 250k hands of so and I'd bet on the frequency of a flopped set or quads would be 10-12%.

I obviously wasn't expecting the improbability to fix itself over 200 hands...I don't think I ever implied that. I figured I would eventually hit a set or two and I did. However, I do think 40-50 hands is fair enough to raise an eyebrow to. Maybe I'm wrong in that thinking though...hence the original purpose of this post.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The long run is very far away.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the denominator gets pretty big, too. Let's say you went 100 PPs without flopping a set. The next 1,000,000 times you have a PP you flop a set 117,551 times, exactly the number you would expect with a true deck and random shuffles. Now your total is 117,551 flopped sets out of 1,000,100 PPs. You never made up the dry 100 PP streak, but your end results are damn close to the expected outcome (like 1/1000th of a percentile off).
Old 06-24-2005, 10:36 PM

it doesn't *have* to be made up, it is very likely that it will get closer to what the historical win percentage is after the same thing happens hundreds, thousands of times more though