Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 03:12 AM

Default First post

Hi, I have been lurking here for a while and I thank everyone here for the great advice. I come here with a strange question, and I assure you all I am not insane or asking this because of a bad run. Has anyone here heard of or seen a player by the name "saabpo" play on partypoker. I played a game with him and had about five people come and tell me that he is a bot with only two moves, all-in or fold. I didnt really care at first because I have always been under the assumption that a bot can't win in the long run. I then ran into this player a few more times and what I saw was literally scary. I had heard from some of these players that had been following saabpo from table to table, and they said he has cashed in nearly every tournament he plays. They also said that is seems as if he knows what cards are going to appear on the board. In every tournament I have played with him he has won every single showdown, and cashed in every tournament he played. It doesnt seem to be a good run of luck either. He will fold nearly all game, and then will randomly move in. The scary part is that I have seen him move in with hand like 4 2 and the board will end up being A 3 5 ...Is something like this even feasible. I thought that all these players were just being paranoid when they warned everyone at my table, but after playing with this guy I had a change of opinion. I hope that this if this is a bot it just happens to be very lucky at the moment, but all of this evidence is just too hard to ignore. Has anyone else had any experience with this "player" and does anyone think that it is somehow possible that a person had programmed a bot to not only play these SNGs, but one that also somehow knows what cards are going to end up on the board. Thanks for your replies.

P.S If you havent' seen him play, I suggest you watch him. It is unreal.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: First post

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone think that it is somehow possible that a person had programmed a bot to not only play these SNGs,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. An all-in/fold bot would actually not be hard to do. I just don't think it could win very much.

[ QUOTE ]

but one that also somehow knows what cards are going to end up on the board. Thanks for your replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Extremely unlikely.

Which is another way of saying "no."

What limit does this supposed bot play at?

eastbay
Old 02-26-2005, 03:31 AM

27% ITM, PP needs to work on their bots.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:42 AM

He is only playing 20+2 and also only plays one at a time. This was another reason that I initially found this very hard to believe. I have watched him play 5 tournaments now, and what I have seen has agreed with what others have said they have seen over the course of 50+ tournaments. The fact that he has a group of several people that follow him around from table to table also says something about the magnitude of what is occurring. Just as I'm typing this he moved in with J8 and was called by AJ and won with a pair of eights. I know it seems very hard to believe, but in over two years of playing these I have never seen anything like this. The only reasons I could come up with for the bot only playing one table at such low limits is is that it is either trying to stay under the radar as much as possible, or the person is in the process of building a BR and will move up soon. It shouldnt take long at this rate with the results it has shown so far.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:46 AM

I am aware that poker prophecy says he only cashes 27% so far, but according to several people that have actually been tracking him since 6:00 this morning, this number is not even close to being accurate. I think everyone also agrees that poker prophecy has yet to be a reliable source for determining these numbers.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:52 AM

I played with him in a tournament today. I saw him play two hands. Both times he went all in. However, his AJ lost to my AK. He might be a bot, but I highly doubt he knows what cards will come up. He probably just went on a very good run using his all in strategy. Although, I've only played with him once so I don't really know.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:53 AM

Right, so lets ignore what my product says and instead use logic.

Someone has created a bot, a bot that has magical powers, and they decided to unleash it on the world by owning the $20 tables.

You do realize that the idea of a bot that can see cards in itself is impossible, but then you are asking us to go further, and assume that the owner of this magical bot really doesn't want to make that much money.

So basically its a magical cheating bot that isn't too greedy.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:59 AM

Sorry apple, we already know that the bot doesn't lose and can see cards. Perhaps you should check your data one more time.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:01 AM

LOL!

Sorry, my bad.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:06 AM

This could be a simple bot. From watching one game, the strategy to beat it appears to be trivial. What is it?

I would welcome this bot at my table 100% of the time.

eastbay