Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Sox fans care about baseball, Cub fans don\'t Article

Cubs/Sox Fans Article

This seems like an article written by a 16 year old, rather than a 75 year old. How quickly he forgets the 2003 playoffs when the Cubs fans swarmed Turner Field. The Cubs have many fans in attendance at all their road games, on par with the Yankees, while the Sox can't sell out regular season home games when they are in first place.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Sox fans care about baseball, Cub fans don\'t Article

[ QUOTE ]
Cubs/Sox Fans Article

This seems like an article written by a 16 year old, rather than a 75 year old. How quickly he forgets the 2003 playoffs when the Cubs fans swarmed Turner Field. The Cubs have many fans in attendance at all their road games, on par with the Yankees, while the Sox can't sell out regular season home games when they are in first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Park seemed pretty full to me last night. Hey, whatever you need to hold on to...

I haven't heard the numbers, but I'm almost positive that the Sox have outdrawn the Cubs in the postseason this year, both in Chicago and on the road.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:18 PM

My wife asked me for which team I'm cheering.

I told her that that the Astros are always sold out, and the White Sox park is always half-empty.

I've never seen anybody walking around with a SOX cap.

Screw those bandwagoners. Let's go, Astros!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I told her that that the Astros are always sold out, and the White Sox park is always half-empty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to think of it as half-full.

FWIW, I can't tell you how convenient it is to be a loyal fan of an unpopular team. Before the "bandwagoners" came in around the All Star Break, I had my own urinal and beer vendor at The Cell.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Park seemed pretty full to me last night. Hey, whatever you need to hold on to...

[/ QUOTE ]

all the curious Cubs fans that wanted to know what a World Series was like...
Old 10-24-2005, 08:40 PM

I have three distinct memories about the White Sox from my time in Chicago about 7 years ago:

1. Buying about $20 worth of food from Dominick's Supermarket and getting a voucher for 2 free White Sox tickets.

2. My middle school giving away vouchers for 4 free White Sox tickets for having a B- average or better, having perfect attendance for a quarter, doing well on certain exams, and other occasions.

3. Going to see a White Sox game with seats many rows up behind home plate, and the ushers allowing us to move up to the second row because no one was there and they didn't want dozens of empty seats showing behind home plate on TV.

Yes, I'm a bitter Cubs fan. May you suffer your own personal Bartman moment.

-SonnyJay
Old 10-25-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have three distinct memories about the White Sox from my time in Chicago about 7 years ago:

1. Buying about $20 worth of food from Dominick's Supermarket and getting a voucher for 2 free White Sox tickets.

2. My middle school giving away vouchers for 4 free White Sox tickets for having a B- average or better, having perfect attendance for a quarter, doing well on certain exams, and other occasions.

3. Going to see a White Sox game with seats many rows up behind home plate, and the ushers allowing us to move up to the second row because no one was there and they didn't want dozens of empty seats showing behind home plate on TV.

Yes, I'm a bitter Cubs fan. May you suffer your own personal Bartman moment.

-SonnyJay

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get it guys, why must you hate the other team from the same town? Until recently the teams never met up for games. You could be a fan of both teams from the same town and it would be ok as they would never in a million years play each other, until recently of course. I am an Angels fan first and a Dodgers fan second, but I like both teams as their stadiums are about 50 miles from my house. I mean sure they play each other once a year nowadays and I go for the Angels then, but outside of those moments they never see each other. What so wrong about going for a team from each league not just in baseball, but football too? They never play each other damnit I dont get the hate, please explain.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:13 AM

Because it's fun to have a rival.

A bunch of my friends in Chicago were White Sox fans. It's fun to bash them knowing that they'll do the same for you. I took a ton of crap from them in 1997 or so when the Cubs lost about 90 straight games to start the year, and making the playoffs in 1998 let us shut them up for a while. Once the Bartman inning ended I shut off my cell phone because I didn't want to hear it from them, and when I turned it on the next day I had about 7 messages.

I enjoy arguing with my friends. That's about it.

-SonnyJay
Old 10-25-2005, 01:28 AM

Don't think there is any debate that the Cubs have the more passionate and loyal fan base by a long shot.

PS: Wonder how many of these 'new' White Sox fans will stick around once the Astros come back and win this series.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think there is any debate that the Cubs have the more passionate and loyal fan base by a long shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
No White Sox fan will argue that we're outnumbered in Chicago -- Cubs fans certainly have more numbers. But to say they're more loyal or passionate is just wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
PS: Wonder how many of these 'new' White Sox fans will stick around once the Astros come back and win this series.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, I certainly hope you're going to be around to accept responsibility for this nonsense...and not blame being wrong on others.