Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 05:01 PM

Default hand against maniac

I really screwed this up I think.
Villain is maniac, 78/50/4.7 after 50 hands.

The turn is the worst card in the deck for me.
Against a normal LAG I'd find a fold there I think, but with a 50+ PFR he could really have something stupid here.
I know I should call this river if I called the turn, right?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB
Old 10-22-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: hand against maniac

shocker - the river is a call if the turn is

i played a guy in a 10/20 6 max game yesterday who bet this way with any 2 - this cant be him though because you would of 3 bet the flop and not asked the "should i call down ?" question

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 10-22-2005, 05:29 PM

i think you were at my empire 3/6 table around 4:30 EST this morning if you still play under the same screen name.

how have you been and are you still playing for a living?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:33 PM

I wouldn't bet the flop. I'd fold the turn, that card is a horrible card for you and the hands you were ahead of just beat you.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you were at my empire 3/6 table around 4:30 EST this morning if you still play under the same screen name.

how have you been and are you still playing for a living?

[/ QUOTE ]

very possible - i havent changed screen names for a while - i have no idea what the time is because i'm in portugal resting up before a long bridge event

very much still playing for a living - for the last couple of months i have been most commonly playing short 20/40-40/80 tables at empire and paradise as well as 109 and 215 SNG's - rare to find me in a 3/6 game but played around 2,000 hands there whilst its been tough to find a 6 max game at empire at non peak times in the last week or so

pm me a screen name or say g'day

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 10-22-2005, 06:21 PM

Dont call the turn if you dont intend on going to showdown. This is because you dont have odds to improve.

Maniacs are often best taken care of with more passive lines. I would just call down all the way (assuming he doesnt know about position and is a maniac from anywhere on the board).
Old 10-22-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't bet the flop. I'd fold the turn, that card is a horrible card for you and the hands you were ahead of just beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wha? Did you read the guy's stats? Betting the flop is fine if you're planning to bet-3bet. Calling the flop raise is fine if you're planning to raise the turn against this guy. I undertand freezing up a little on the turn as that's pretty much the worst card to come for you here but not going to sd is awful. You definitely should have gone to sd and I think you even left some bets on the table.

Oh, and a passive line isnt necessarily best against maniacs. When you have a good hand and he'll raise with nothing, get lots of bets in.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maniacs are often best taken care of with more passive lines.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. Passive lines are good against LAGs and other hyper-aggros. Maniacs are winning to throw 10 bets in with a random hand. Gotta take advantage of that when you have top pair or better.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:12 PM

I tend to include hyper-aggros in the maniac catagory, but what your saying is true for what you could call pure-maniacs.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:13 PM

If you put him on 77, then good fold and nh.

You have to call this guy down. No ifs, ands or buts. He could have been raising anything on the flop and often you will see him have a hand like Q3 or J5 at the showdown. Not everyone is FOS all the time, but these types have a history of it and a reputation for it.