Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: where to apply?

[ QUOTE ]
If you wanted to go to the east coast, both Wesleyan and Vasser sound like decent fits for many of your criteria.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good God, stay away from Wesleyan. For one, it hardly meets his size criteria. For another, its a horrible, awful place. I met a bunch of Wesleyan students in Germany, and they hated it without exception. Some of the complaints:

- the incredibly liberal, whiny atmosphere. Apparently the movie PCU was based on Wesleyan, and its not that far off. Ugh.

- the gay community. They said that in student surveys, somewhere upwards of 50% of males had had a homosexual encounter by sophomore year. Part of the reason for that seemed to be the large number of hairy, flannel-wearing lesbians there, which resulted in a tiny pool of datable women. None of the Wesleyan kids felt comfortable in that kind of atmosphere.

- the lack of a good social scene. Most likely stems from the first reason.

As far as good recommendations go, you may want to rethink your size requirements. How did you come up with those numbers, anyways? If you're looking for a strong english department, you're not looking for classes with 1000 kids in them. 30 - or less - is ideal for that type of study.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:37 AM

Maybe I should rethink the size requirement. Here was my logic: I want 500+ because too small is, well, too small - hot chicks are important and I don't necessarily want to know everyone. As for the upper bound, I just don't want to get lost. I kind of want to have a sense of community and a sense that I might actually matter at the place I go to. If I were to go to, say, UCBerkeley, I really doubt I would feel either of those things.

By class size I mean the amount of people in my graduating class, not the amount of people in each class of mine. I don't want to take huge weeder classes with 200 students in a lecture hall where you never talk to the prof.

Thank you for the warning against Wesleyan. I don't want to have any gay encounters and I don't want to go to class with all butch lesbos.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You might think about Yale too. It is bigger than you want but the residential college system there gives it a smaller feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work 2 blocks from Yale and wander through campus to see the 'sights' during lunch. You sound like you would absolutely love this choice as long as you don't mind the cross country commute...

New Haven is such a fun small city.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure I'd love Yale, or pretty much any Ivy for that matter, but I don't think I'd get in. I have a lot of friends with perfect attendance and great recs and better SAT scores than me that got turned down from all the ivies. I will probably apply to these places because, well, 50$ is nothing, but I do want some realistic choices and definitely need to consider what my safety options will be. I hear they don't like the incompletes.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By class size I mean the amount of people in my graduating class, not the amount of people in each class of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Duh. I'm an idiot.

Budgetary considerations will help people give you much better recommendations as well.

EDIT: Idiocy abounds this morning
Old 10-21-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You might think about Yale too. It is bigger than you want but the residential college system there gives it a smaller feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work 2 blocks from Yale and wander through campus to see the 'sights' during lunch. You sound like you would absolutely love this choice as long as you don't mind the cross country commute...

New Haven is such a fun small city.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure I'd love Yale, or pretty much any Ivy for that matter, but I don't think I'd get in. I have a lot of friends with perfect attendance and great recs and better SAT scores than me that got turned down from all the ivies. I will probably apply to these places because, well, 50$ is nothing, but I do want some realistic choices and definitely need to consider what my safety options will be. I hear they don't like the incompletes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to list all of your scores in everything in order for us to have a solid idea of where you might get in.

Admission to the very best schools is always going to be difficult. That doesn't mean you won't get in, because for every one of your friends who didn't get in, you're going to hear about someone who you have no idea how they got there. Gotta have all the numbers though.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:26 AM

In terms of the size and community aspect, you may want to look at the University of Chicago. My sister went there and loved it. However, you have to be able to get along with nerds. My sister is a bit of a wild one but she's intellectual too (ex: she went to Michigan Law, a top 10 law school, during the same time I was an undergrad there, and she partied harder than I did when we were there). So she was able to fit in reasonably well at Chicago, but she did repeatedly tell me that they embrace their nerdiness there.

I almost always endorse my alma mater, Michigan, but it is a bit huge. I will say that its school of music is amazing, though. But it is its own separate school; basically it's a conservatory that is housed at the University. It is nice that they have a ton of ensembles that you can join (more than one jazz ensemble I'm sure), if you've got enough game for it (sounds like you do), and you'll get to play with truly exceptional musicians (I did one semester of a Concert Band that was 95% school of music students).

My cousins went to Pomona in California. I don't know anything about it, but I do know that they are smart and have well-paying jobs right now heh.

I have friends at Colorado who love it. I think it's not too big. Again, don't know much else about it.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:37 AM

University of Maryland College Park
A ton of fun
A ton of fish
A ton of hoes....
Old 10-21-2005, 10:41 AM

My prediction is that you're going to donk out of college in your first year and a half. Join the army and go to school after you get out.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I write better than just about all my peers

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Other things: I am top 100 in the US for my age in chess

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the best jazz guitar player in the county.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you need to seek out a University offering the rare triple major in chess/writing/jazz guitar. Perhaps you need to write jazz music about chess.

Swede
Old 10-21-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you need to seek out a University offering the rare triple major in chess/writing/jazz guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reminds me. When I was at UM, there was a woman in the music school getting a masters in that big bell at the top of the tower on campus. I don't remember what it's called.